Rock over BTA?

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone a little while ago one of my anemones split. I'm trying to get them out of my tank so I was able to get one out fairly fast but the other one wedged himself into a nice hole in the rock. He's slowly growing and getting close to toughing an acropora. The way my tank is set up I can kind of put another rock over him without harming him in any way. This will block the light and I hope that he will move so I can grab him. Do you think this will work and help him in moving? I did attempt something similar once with a different anemone and it kind of worked to a degree.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone a little while ago one of my anemones split. I'm trying to get them out of my tank so I was able to get one out fairly fast but the other one wedged himself into a nice hole in the rock. He's slowly growing and getting close to toughing an acropora. The way my tank is set up I can kind of put another rock over him without harming him in any way. This will block the light and I hope that he will move so I can grab him. Do you think this will work and help him in moving? I did attempt something similar once with a different anemone and it kind of worked to a degree.
It sure could work. Another option that I used to get mine to move was to take an amount of DT water and place it in the freezer for a good while. Use a turkey baster or large volume syringe and direct the cold water, slowly and steadily, at the foot and it should detach without harm. Active or passive approach, whatever works for you. Either way, you stand the chance that it will re-home itself right back where it is or in another spot you may not like.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure could work. Another option that I used to get mine to move was to take an amount of DT water and place it in the freezer for a good while. Use a turkey baster or large volume syringe and direct the cold water, slowly and steadily, at the foot and it should detach without harm. Active or passive approach, whatever works for you. Either way, you stand the chance that it will re-home itself right back where it is or in another spot you may not like.
Ive never really tried the cold water way. That is something I will definitely try over the next couple of days. His foot is kind of in a hole but I think I can probably get a turkey baster in there and slowly blast it, seems like a decent option. The anemone isn't touching the acro yet, but I want to get it before it does lol.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 134 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back