Rock rescape: how would you do it

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to remove the two bulky rocks on top of my scape to make room for two nano size TBS gulf premium live rocks to add diversity and create more space--also going to suck up top layer of sand bed and add gulf live sand for diversity to combat the impending dino/cyano/ebola apocalypse.

IMG_20211220_125938687_HDR~2.jpg

These rocks also make only the front half of display useable. The 5 rocks are attached together by the aquaristik reef putty.

How would you do this? 50% water change and try to rip off the top pieces? Remove the whole structure? Some sort of tool to pop apart the connected points?

Don't want to destroy my tank or cause some wild parameter swing, so advice welcome!!

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find a flat head screw driver, or a small chisel, works great to break apart to items glued together. Insert the flat surface into a crack and rotate it. The torque is quite effective at popping things apart. With regards to siphoning out sand; that can be quite tricky. If your sand bed is old, and full of detritus, and potentially full of toxic stuff, don't just siphon off the top layer. For an old sand bed I would tend to use a sand stirring siphon tube (one that has the expanded end) to "clean" detritus out of the sand bed, but leaving the active live sand in place to handle any toxic stuff that gets released. Once the sand bed it "clean" and your tank is stable, then siphon off the top layer. Also, I would have lots of prepare seawater on hand in case you have to do a rapid emergency water change. Most likely this is overkill but as I've read on R2R, "nothing good happens fast" in a reef aquarium.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Is the best sand on the top layer? If so, getting a good stir in beforehand might keep more of the best sand in place when removing to replace with gulf sand.

Thanks! Will try the screwdriver approach. I also want to be careful, because I have a pistol (and possibly a goby) beneath the rockwork.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back