OP
OP
R

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who have never worked with vinyl tubing, be aware that because it comes on a spool, the tubing always wants to curve a specific way. Now, you can either fight with it or use it to your advantage. Me, I use it. In the middle of each of my return lines will be a valve. By placing it somewhere in the middle of the run, I use it to change the direction of the twist in the vinyl tubing to arc the way I want. That’s the idea anyways, we will see tonight if I can make it work.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @RocketEngineer! Happy to see you posting again. I was a big follower of yours on a different forum. Love Innovation Marine tanks and stands. Good luck with the build!

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!!
welcome back beer GIF by Outback Steakhouse

coming along nicely... will be following

OP
OP
R

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks folks. It’s been a crazy few years. With the tank finally on the stand, I’ve gotten excited again. Even the setback with the plumbing worked out as all I lost was one 45 fitting but was able to reuse everything else. I’m just hoping it doesn’t leak. o_O :p

OP
OP
R

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, about the delay, let’s just say things did NOT go as planned. It appears the 3/4 plastic clamps don’t work on 3/4” black vinyl. I’m not convinced but whatever. So the tank has sat empty over the holidays. Now, with that out of the way I hope to start making progress again. Which leads us to yesterday’s delivery.
F1340236-1510-464A-AC9D-47E5688BB1D5.jpeg

AF3065E4-35D6-4BD7-9173-480E7892A7ED.jpeg

Let the aquascape construction begin.

OP
OP
R

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 6 pieces to the aquascape, 5 of which were constructed from pieces. There is an arch in the left, which is the side the couch is on, two tall/large structures in the back, and three low ones in the front. They were built to somewhat overlap while creating swim through areas in multiple places.

OP
OP
R

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet again, it’s taken longer than I intended. My original idea was to connect both water tanks to a single pump. However, there wasn’t enough room for my original idea. So instead I came up with the idea to use quick disconnects on the pump to switch between moving fresh, and moving/mixing salt.

The mixing tank has a hose for circulating/mixing that I can also use for refilling with fresh. I also have a long hose for moving water in/out of the main system.

In order to get all this working, I needed quick disconnects. Finding plastic ones took much longer than intended. I also realized after a day spent going store to store, that I needed to order the fittings I was missing.

So, after yet more delays, right now my water system is making its first batch of RODI water for filling the display with saltwater for the very first time.

It’s been years in the making but this weekend, the system finally comes to life.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started the internal model because the external was backordered.
Luckily the only leaks were 2 bulkheads.
Nice to hear you on the forums again.

OP
OP
R

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along with bated breath.
Knowing how things seem to be going with this build, it may be a while. I have no intention of rushing this one.
I just started the internal model because the external was backordered.
Luckily the only leaks were 2 bulkheads.
Nice to hear you on the forums again.
I’ve been posting here and there. Despite the time it’s taken me to get to this point I’m still very enthusiastic about this tank. The size is amazing IMO. With the height being the smallest dimension, it will be interesting to get corals in.

OP
OP
R

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B31893FE-332E-4C59-8A18-CDD9316CADA9.jpeg

The water system is dribbling away, this is the second batch. A minor leak at the transfer pump but I think I have that sorted now.
044D6C26-1E8D-4E28-AF9D-221831E2F22E.jpeg

Here is the result of the first batch in the tank. The plan is to mix in the tank once there is enough. If things go as planned, I might have salt in this week.

OP
OP
R

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks, WE HAVE SAND! 40 pounds of special grade, 20 pounds of ocean direct. And with the water from yesterday, both pumps are up and running! Oh, and the tank looks like a fog bank. I need to spread the sand out but right now I can't even see the rockwork so yeah, that will have to wait. For now I'm going to let the filter sock do its job while my back stops yelling at me enough to get the salt in the house. Hopefully at some point today, I may have myself a saltwater system up and running. Fingers crossed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back