Rocks??

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends really on what kind of rock you are talking about. Generally yes it is necessary as it asct as bio filter, it houses bacteria that keep your tank stable, it provides hiding spots for fish, houses various pods that are food for your fish and so on.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are rocks necessary or are they just decorative?
i mean they help unless you are running some sort of bio media in a sump but not only for beneficial bacteria but also all the life that lives in the rocks pods micro brittle stars feather dusters

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the amount of rocks recommended or required now is different (less) than 10 years ago.

Other forms of bio media (blocks, reactors) have changed things. I plan on using a lot less rocks (for simplistic aquascape) on my next 200+ gallon tank than I had in my old 180 gallon.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was actually at the pet shop today and bought this below. It’s not rock. Not really sure what its made of. I absolutely love it. Would it serve the same purpose as rocks?
EABB7B04-8E5E-485D-AFD5-7CB63B058025.jpeg

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have no idea. My initial guess would be maybe. If is it made of plastic for example, then it would not work, as it is solid and bacteria wont really have where to populate. If it is porous, then it could possibly maybe work.

If you like that you could build pretty much same thing with Two Little Fishes Stax Rocks, and you get real rocks that will do what they are meant to do. Of course cost would be higher, as it is real rock.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have no idea. My initial guess would be maybe. If is it made of plastic for example, then it would not work, as it is solid and bacteria wont really have where to populate. If it is porous, then it could possibly maybe work.

If you like that you could build pretty much same thing with Two Little Fishes Stax Rocks, and you get real rocks that will do what they are meant to do. Of course cost would be higher, as it is real rock.

Was just checking the label and it says: top fin(which is the brand name)
and it’s labeled “Grey Stacked Rock L”
any ideas?

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For decoration, it’s fine. Won’t help the bio process. Won’t hurt, just won’t help. Don’t count for your help in filtration, but IMO it’s fine for decoration.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back