Rocks

JoeyzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new to reefing and saltwater tanks in general. I have about 55 lbs of rock that I need help with arranging around. Is this ok? Or what should I aim for it to look like? I want the best for what ever fish I get.

image.jpg

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I pull the rocks out and glue them?

I like to use JB water weld. I roll pieces larger than a marble but smaller than a ping pong ball and sandwhich them between rocks by pressing down hard when I place rocks on top of one another under water. This works well IF you have made an effort to have an inherently stable aquascape to begin with. If your scape is naturally unstable then more extreme methods will be needed.

OP
OP
J

JoeyzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus, live rock is magical, seeing what creatures hitchhike on them!
Tbh I wanted to avoid hitchhikers.
Get real ocean live rock. Time and time again I see all these issues with starting with dry rock, or LFS wet live rock. IMHO, spend the money up front and get real ocean live rock.
I think it looks a little flat TBH. Try either two islands or one large island with a significant slope from one side to another.
done

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh I wanted to avoid hitchhikers.
Gotta do the QT thing 100% hardcore then. Since I hate having to qt, dip, inspect, battle, and remove everything I always go with real ocean rock. The ttrick behind the ocean stuff is you get so many hitchhikers that no single one can take over your tank. The horror stories you see on here where something like vermitid snails cover every inch of rock or something similar is always in a tank started with dry rock and never one started with ocean rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back