RODI AND SALT MIX SAME VESSEL

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, little bit more investigating for the water change system, hoping for some advice, please.

Space is very limited where I can plumb a rodi and mixing barrel.

I’m considering using a single barrel for both auto top off water and mixing salt.

-fill container with rodi, transfer amount needed into ATO resevoir
-top off container, mix in salt(I’d plumb a recirculating system)and transfer to aquarium when needed.
-refill container with RODI.
Rinse and repeat…

I’m thinking this would be simplest for my situation, however I’m also thinking it would not be good long term as salt residue in the container and plumbing would contaminate and sour the fresh RODI.
Or am I wrong and being hyper sensitive, and really, it’ll be okay?

Thanks y’all.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term, I wouldn't unless you're cleaning out the salt residue regularly, it will eventually raise your salinity. Just use different containers unless you have no other option.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be a pain constantly switching, but little bits of salt in the top off aren't a concern. Almost no one matches the new and old tank water better than to about +/- 1% in salinity anyway.

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be a pain constantly switching, but little bits of salt in the top off aren't a concern. Almost no one matches the new and old tank water better than to about +/- 1% in salinity anyway.
Very well could be a pain…I’m in pre planning stage to map out…

My concern is more salt residue contaminating the fresh RO water if it sits. No need to have pumps and heaters going for the ATO water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is more salt residue contaminating the fresh RO water if it sits. No need to have pumps and heaters going for the ATO water.

There's no problem with that. :)

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no problem with that. :)
Promise??? I figure I’d drain and wipe it all down inside maybe once a month or so.
I’d really like to go with the slicker, single, tank, though the pet food containers are pretty ******…it’d just be so cramped with two.
Keep water moving and warm when it’s filled with salt, let it just chill when filled with RODI.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Promise???

lol

Yes. Dilution of seawater does not hurt it, and a tiny bit left from a batch of seawater getting into your top off is no different than that same tiny bit being added directly over the same time period.

Wiping it out between batches is a waste of time.

What salt mix do you use? I'd use one without organics if you ever want to store it without aeration.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue is if you mix up fresh with salt and use them wrongly. Be smart and you will be OK.

You will never be able to trust the TDS in the reservoir again, so if you are checking your RODI unit, don't freak out if you have 40 TDS in the container. You will have to find another way.

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol

Yes. Dilution of seawater does not hurt it, and a tiny bit left from a batch of seawater getting into your top off is no different than that same tiny bit being added directly over the same time period.

What salt mix do you use? I'd use one without organics if you ever want to store it without aeration.
The only issue is if you mix up fresh with salt and use them wrongly. Be smart and you will be OK.

You will never be able to trust the TDS in the reservoir again, so if you are checking your RODI unit, don't freak out if you have 40 TDS in the container. You will have to find another way.
okay, thank you very much.

lol

Okay then! Consensus seems to be green light.
I started with nyos, switched to fritz pro, think I’m going back to nyos…but the tank crashed hard, lost alot of animals last time I switched…not sure if coincidence or the salt or just the switch…

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ooooph what a disaster that would be!

My 3 way tds is at the RODI filter so probably wouldn’t test again post. Maybe I should though…

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I like an in line TDS meter that reads the output from the RODI, not the water in the RODI water container.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with nyos, switched to fritz pro, think I’m going back to nyos…but the tank crashed hard, lost alot of animals last time I switched…not sure if coincidence or the salt or just the switch…

As far as I know, neither of those have added organics and should be fine.

If you get a precipitate on the bottom when mixing salts, just ignore it. it won't hurt a batch of RO/DI going in. It will likely mostly be calcium carbonate which precipitated from the salt mix. A tiny amount will dissolve into the fresh water, but that won't hurt anything. It just adds a little of the alk and calcium you missed out on in the salt water use. It happens especially in high alk salt mixes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back