RODI Booster not shutting off need help

pgooden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help. I am setting up a new RODI system and I cannot get the booster pump to shutoff.

I have 7 stage as follows:
Water comes from supply line to booster pump (Aquatec 8800)
From pump to Sediment Filter
From Filter through 2 carbon blocks
From carbon to auto shutoff valve in
images.jpeg

shutoff valve out to first membrane
from membrane 1 waste to membrane 2 input
from membrane 2 filtered water out to T with membrane 1 filtered water out
from T through check valve to auto shutoff valve in2
from shutoff valve out2 to DI-1 to DI-2
from DI-2 output to the Aquatec pressure switch
9k=.jpeg

from pressure switch to electronic solenoid to stop water flow
2Q==.jpeg

from solenoid to the water container

the solenoid is connected to a dual float switch setup in the water tank so when the water is full and top float switch is triggered, the solenoid is acivated and stops the flow of water into the tank.

My thought was that this would create backpressure on the Aquatec pressure switch and deactivate the pump. What I am seeing is that the solenoid activates (water stops flowing into the tank) but the pressure switch doesn’t activate and turn off the pump. I am at a loss as to what is causing the problem.

Water Supply -> Pump ->RO->Shutoff Valve->DI ->Pressure Switch -> Electronic solenoid ->Float Switch

Thoughts?
Shane

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally get low water pressure so I had to revise the configuration on my auto-shutoff. As you can see in the image, I run the waste water (red) through the top and the filtered water (blue) through the bottom.

CB57937A-E04D-488F-A554-85A4FB4BDEC3.jpeg

OP
OP
pgooden

pgooden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally get low water pressure so I had to revise the configuration on my auto-shutoff. As you can see in the image, I run the waste water (red) through the top and the filtered water (blue) through the bottom.

CB57937A-E04D-488F-A554-85A4FB4BDEC3.jpeg
Thanks for the reply. Not sure I follow on how that will help shut off the booster pump. The pump has my pressure running at 80 psi. The solenoid successfully shuts off the flow at the fresh water tank (end of the line). But the back pressure never activates the pressure switch for the booster pump and therefore it doesn’t turn off.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your configuration is your problem. Sort of complicated to explain here... feel free to give us a call if you'd like.

Russ
513-312-2343

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solenoid in wrong location and wiring also may not be correct. All are easy fixes.

ganreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a similar setup (also as shown below) with the pump between the sediment and DI membrane and the pressure switch at the output of RODI water, which then leads to the output side of the solenoid and then to the float.

With this set up, the pump is not cutting off after the float rises. It runs and vibrates. Please help.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same comment as above: Your configuration is the problem. Sort of complicated to explain here... feel free to give us a call if you'd like when you are in front of the system.

If you would mark up the graphic you inserted above with your pump and pressure switch location that would be helpful.

It's often better with a pump and pressure switch to use an electrical solenoid valve rather than the hydraulic ASOV shown in the graphic.

ganreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will mark it up and call you when I am in front of the system. Can you send the link to an electrical splitter from your website to feed the electrical solenoid valve ? I am trying to avoid another transformer and electrical outlet usage by sharing the input from the transformer for the pump and pressure switch. Would that sharing create a problem ?

ganreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Buckeye Hydro, I figured out the issue. It is the ASOV that is the problem. When I removed it the pump shuts down through the pressure valve. Now I need an electrical solenoid valve on the input side to cut off the water input. I ordered this from your website. If I put this in the tube out of tap, it should should off the input source water when the float triggers the pump to stop - right ?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - using an electrical pressure switch with a typical hydraulic auto shut off valve can cause problems. Your solution is the best way to go - use a solenoid valve powered by the same circuit that powers the pump.

In looking at your sketch, suggest you move your pump to a location AFTER THE PREFILTERS but before the RO membrane. The weakest components in your system, in terms of ability to withstand high pressure, are your clear housings. Here's a pic (dashed red lines are wires, blue lines are tubing (water)):
Booster-Pump-High-Pressure-Switch.PNG

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back