RODI Carbon Block vs Activated Carbon pellets

mikethefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever tried using a carbon block from a RODI system directly on a reef tank?

Currently I'm using the BRS Rox 0.8 carbon pellets and about 3-4 weeks in I get a lot of carbon dust coming out from the reactor. I run a few layers of filter pads before the react exit and it catches a lot of the dust. It runs clean in the first couple weeks though and I replace the carbon every 4 weeks.

Got me thinking while looking at my RODI filter if I can just run that carbon block on my tank directly.

On Amazon right now they're selling a pack of 10 carbon blocks for $38. I think it's even cheaper than my activated carbon cost. Has anyone tried? Is there a reason not to try?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever tried using a carbon block from a RODI system directly on a reef tank?

Currently I'm using the BRS Rox 0.8 carbon pellets and about 3-4 weeks in I get a lot of carbon dust coming out from the reactor. I run a few layers of filter pads before the react exit and it catches a lot of the dust. It runs clean in the first couple weeks though and I replace the carbon every 4 weeks.

Got me thinking while looking at my RODI filter if I can just run that carbon block on my tank directly.

On Amazon right now they're selling a pack of 10 carbon blocks for $38. I think it's even cheaper than my activated carbon cost. Has anyone tried? Is there a reason not to try?
Sounds like you may have to much flow or you have to much room. The pellets tumbling is what is causing the dust

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon blocks are run after sediment filters on RODI systems... seems like you would just clog it with how much crud is in a reef tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back