RODI in basement

Cmp1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the 6 stage RODI kit from BRS. I plan on installing it in my basement. My question is, how worried to I have to be about sunlight. There are two tiny windows in my large basement. Where I plan on putting it is near one of them. Light comes it but its not direct sunlight and the window is maybe 2 feet wide by 1 foot tall. The unit would be mounted to the side of the window by a few feet not directly in front of it.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no direct sunlight no need to worry about the canisters or tubing cracking or getting brittle from the sun.
They should last forever.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and howdy
howdy.gif

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t worry. But, if you see algae growth, then shade the cartridges with a piece of cardboard or something.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about algae buildup or other bacteria

You will be changing the filters on a regular basis. Wiping the inside of the canisters will have to be done anyways as part of the regular maintance.

enorl76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the maintenance needed for the RODI ? I only figured on the filter replacement once the color of the resin changed

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the maintenance needed for the RODI ? I only figured on the filter replacement once the color of the resin changed

I'd recommend looking at the canisters every few years - I ended up replacing most of my original (17 year old) plastics as they were starting to form cracks along the mold line. Some failed years earlier in a more catastrophic crack. Possibly just bad luck but nothing lasts forever, especially plastic at 50+PSI.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 31 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back