RODI Phosphate

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I recently got back my ICP test on my RODI and Reef. My phosphates were a bit high. ICP showed a Phosphorus of .12ppm and a .03ppm for the reef and RODI respectively. If I did my conversion to phosphate correctly that equates to .09ppm RODI and .367ppm reef water. So my ATO is dumping .09ppm when is fills my return which is a source of my high PO4 levels. I have a 7 stage BRS RODI system. My question is what could be failing in the RODI that would cause this PO4 to bleed through even though I show a TDS of 0 OR is this normal for PO4 to come out of a 7-stage RODI system?? Has anyone done a ICP on their RODI and had similar results?

As a side note, I just got some Phosphat-E to lower the PO4.

Nitrates are about 12-15ppm. Fish only currently and lights have been off. Following BRS 4 month cycle process and I'm at 4 months but not wanting to turn lights on now with that high of PO4. Definitely a algae bloom would occur.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could add a gfo canister after your rodi unit to eliminate the po4 from your source water issue. I'm not a fan of gfo used in the display system myself, but in the rodi water setup it will help remove the po4 . but take a look at what Randy Holmes-Farley has to say about it in this thread

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. My icp test showed the same .03 also in my ro. I added a second di canister but I didn't get another icp test yet. The hanna can't be used to test fresh water.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could add a gfo canister after your rodi unit to eliminate the po4 from your source water issue. I'm not a fan of gfo used in the display system myself, but in the rodi water setup it will help remove the po4 . but take a look at what Randy Holmes-Farley has to say about it in this thread
So from what I read from Randy's post the PO4 in the RODI is not significant enough to cause the PO4 to elevate.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from what I read from Randy's post the PO4 in the RODI is not significant enough to cause the PO4 to elevate.
That's pretty much what I took from it. But there's also a few folks on here that put the canister with gfo on the end of their rodi and remove the phosphate from the source water anyways, Then you know it's not a issue, but it's also a added expense. I don't personally have this issue, just trying to help with a few ideas.

OP
OP
Bodyguard

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much what I took from it. But there's also a few folks on here that put the canister with gfo on the end of their rodi and remove the phosphate from the source water anyways, Then you know it's not a issue, but it's also a added expense. I don't personally have this issue, just trying to help with a few ideas.
Not sure I want to add more equipment either unless its a real issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back