Rodi question

iluvnybor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reading. I am so sick of struggling in this hobby! I am trying to mix some rodi water for a water change. I recently redid my water filter setup. I added a dual cartridge for my di resin. Before this i was getting 0tds now I cant get below 2ppm. I also thought my di resin would not be using both up.at the same time? I cant do anything right in this hobby!! What am I doing wrong? Also the first 3 filters seem to be doing nothing. Water comes in at 500 tds and when it gets through the 3 filters it is right around the same. After the ro membrane it is around 9 and after di 2 tds. Sometimes when i first start making di water the tds meter will be really high and then slowly come down. Is this. Normal or are my meters junk?

Thanks for the help

20210111_202415.jpg 20210111_202412.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a flush valve, and if so are you flushing for a minute or two both when you finish making water, and before you make more? It could help. (And yes, it can take a couple of minutes running for the meters to come down and read true.)

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just looking at the pics your prefilter looks very dirty. Also how old is the unit. Also are you sure it's hooked up right? Can't really tell from the pics. Make sure you aren't using your waste water

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are a lot of hoses that go all over. Your sediment filter looks pretty dirty. How come your Booster pump is going into the RO Membrane instead of in from the source to the first chamber?

The sticker says "5 stage water saver plus" but I only see 1 RO Membrane, where is the second one?

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just looking at the pics your prefilter looks very dirty. Also how old is the unit. Also are you sure it's hooked up right? Can't really tell from the pics. Make sure you aren't using your waste water
I second that. Triple check the flow. The devil is in the details. There needs to be certainty in the setup. If the setup is perfect then definitely consider changing out media and filters.

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reading. I am so sick of struggling in this hobby! I am trying to mix some rodi water for a water change. I recently redid my water filter setup. I added a dual cartridge for my di resin. Before this i was getting 0tds now I cant get below 2ppm. I also thought my di resin would not be using both up.at the same time? I cant do anything right in this hobby!! What am I doing wrong? Also the first 3 filters seem to be doing nothing. Water comes in at 500 tds and when it gets through the 3 filters it is right around the same. After the ro membrane it is around 9 and after di 2 tds. Sometimes when i first start making di water the tds meter will be really high and then slowly come down. Is this. Normal or are my meters junk?

Thanks for the help

20210111_202415.jpg 20210111_202412.jpg
I think you drank those beers when you setup the tubing. =). just teasing. Sort it out then let us know what the outcome was.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pre-filter does look like it's full of mud. There is a flush valve around the middle of the pic. Typically when you 1st start making rodi the tds is high and drops after a bit. This is why it's best to make a lot of water at once and not small batches.

I'd confirm that all the hoses are correct, its kinda hard to tell in the pic.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why is this T here and why is the Pressure switch before the DI, that is normally after the DI? where is that blue line coming from that goes into the T?
1610421136395.png

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water comes in at 500 tds and when it gets through the 3 filters it is right around the same. After the ro membrane it is around 9 and after di 2 tds
The sediment and carbon filter do not remove TDS so it is going to be about the same coming out
9 after the membrane is good when you have 500 going in 98% rejection
The high TDS when you start is most likely TDS creep you need to get rid of the first minute of so of water before it get to your DI resin. The flush valve does not accomplish this. Look at a hook up diagram on one of the websites like spectrapure or buckeye hydro to make sure everything is plumbed correctelly. The booster pump after you filters and before the membrane is fine.

OP
OP
I

iluvnybor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beer is to help me get through this hobby! I want so bad to be successful! Here is a drawing of the lines for the setup. As far as the tee in the setup by the relay that is going to my drinking water. After the ro but before the di. And the ro membrane is about 6 MJ months old. I dont use much di water through the system most is for making ice. I have a 14 gallon biocube and I do weekly 5 gallon water changes. I want a bigger tank again and said if i cam make a go at it with this tank then I will buy a larger tank. But so far I am failing. Cant get rid of the algie I even purchased a

OP
OP
I

iluvnybor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactor and am filtering carbon and something else I cant remember what I turned off the lights for a few days and all I killed where some of my zoas! I feed pellets 2 times a week and am not over feeding. I am trying to figure out how this algie is growing and am looking at the water but tested it and it all tested ok

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactor and am filtering carbon and something else I cant remember what I turned off the lights for a few days and all I killed where some of my zoas! I feed pellets 2 times a week and am not over feeding. I am trying to figure out how this algie is growing and am looking at the water but tested it and it all tested ok
Smaller tanks are typically harder to keep stable than larger tanks. The problem with real large 3-400+ gal is once something starts to go bad it like trying to stop a freight train.

You have an algae problem, what does your clean up crew consist of? Carbon is used to clean the water(remove yellow hue) and remove some other things, not nitrate-phosphate which cause algae. Your 2ns reactor is probably gfo or pellets.

Gfo removes phosphates, pellets will remove nitrate. What are your water parameters?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back