RODI Slime bacteria

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple months back I noticed some clear slime on walls and the tubes in my 15 gallon ATO container, so I emptied it out and cleaned everything using a RODI/Vinegar solution. Since this time my tank seems to be doing a bit better; corals are open more and growing better. Could the slime bacteria build up in my RODI container been causing some issues in my system?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen a storage container that is slime free. Mine has slime and I have never encountered an issue from it. There are several threads on this issue out there but there are no real answers. The Filter Guys have said that it is normal on other threads so I assume there is no issues.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make it a habit of once a month to vinegar clean my ato reservoir. Even though it has a lid with a small cutout for hoses, funk still ends up in it like dust and the occasional cat hair.

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess the question is does anyone know if this slime bacteria can cause issues in a reef tank?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been times where the slime in my ATO container (Brute trashcan) has gotten a funny smell to it, didn't seem to be harmful to the tank but just felt weird using it that way... Whenever that happens I just let the container get pretty low and then splash around some hydrogen peroxide (right out of the bottle) onto all the surfaces before refilling. After a treatment or two like that the smell goes away for quite while.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back