RODI Spilled Under Tank and Carpet

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a carpeted apartment. My 25 gallon AIO tank sits on a rubber mat (purpose of it is to catch drips/spills). My ATO container also sits on the rubber mat next to my tank/stand.

I forgot to turn the RODI off. I'm not sure how much spilled but I think about a gallon or so overflowed. Luckily the rubber mat caught most of it but water ran over the mat on some places. I drained the ATO container to see just how much the water overflowed and it wasn't much on the ATO container side so that's good. Some water spilled under the mat on the part the tank is sitting on.

Is it worth draining the tank to see how much water got under and try to air it out? Will it cause mold?

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a carpeted apartment. My 25 gallon AIO tank sits on a rubber mat (purpose of it is to catch drips/spills). My ATO container also sits on the rubber mat next to my tank/stand.

I forgot to turn the RODI off. I'm not sure how much spilled but I think about a gallon or so overflowed. Luckily the rubber mat caught most of it but water ran over the mat on some places. I drained the ATO container to see just how much the water overflowed and it wasn't much on the ATO container side so that's good. Some water spilled under the mat on the part the tank is sitting on.

Is it worth draining the tank to see how much water got under and try to air it out? Will it cause mold?
Its rodi water so I wouldn't be too worried if a gallon or less. But that's just me if had larger spills of tank water lol... behind the tank and never had mold issues

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the accident -

You can see the black rubber mat the stand is sitting on. The ATO container (right) was also sitting on the rubber mat. When water overflowed the ATO container, the rubber mat caught a lot. FYI the tank stand is sitting on a piece of plywood. There's water under the plywood most likely but I'm not concerned about that. THe only purpose of the plywood is to elevate the stand so the stand door opens without getting caught on the carpet.

I checked the perimeter of the mat and it's dry except the circled spots. Water spilled under the ATO container by a corner of the mat. I drained the ATO container to see how bad it was and it was just the corner so I'm airing that out. The pink circle is harder to guage how deep the water went under the mat because the tank is sitting on it.
1609740794771.png

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture of the accident -

You can see the black rubber mat the stand is sitting on. The ATO container (right) was also sitting on the rubber mat. When water overflowed the ATO container, the rubber mat caught a lot. FYI the tank stand is sitting on a piece of plywood. There's water under the plywood most likely but I'm not concerned about that. THe only purpose of the plywood is to elevate the stand so the stand door opens without getting caught on the carpet.

I checked the perimeter of the mat and it's dry except the circled spots. Water spilled under the ATO container by a corner of the mat. I drained the ATO container to see how bad it was and it was just the corner so I'm airing that out. The pink circle is harder to guage how deep the water went under the mat because the tank is sitting on it.
1609740794771.png
Yeah I wouldn't be worried in the slightest

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's going to be the first to share massive spill stories (this week?) I will!

- I took a bath while the ol' RO unit was going. I remembered that I had left something running two hours later...
Fortunately, the bucket (largely) overflowed into a nearby basement drain.

-I was placing my prized new aquascape into my brand-used 40g tank, and the bottom of my e-Marcoed wonder fell off...and right into the tank, as I held the thing over it. I was drenched from head to toe, as was the nearby carpet. It's a wonder that the flyaway piece didn't crack the tank at all.

OP
OP
PugsAndFish

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main concern is just the pink part. Water definitely seeped under the stand (pink part extends under the tank) but I just don't know if it's a big amount or just at the edges (hopefully). Regardless, would the stand being on the wet carpet, preventing it from properly drying out cause issues down the line?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25g isn't a lot of water to change. I'd just drain the tank down to a minimum, do a quick check of the carpet under the stand to give you some peace of mind, and then refill.

uninformed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spills always look and feel much larger than they are. Think about if you spilled a full drinking glass on your kitchen floor, and that's probably only 12 fl. oz. Now imagine 10x that amount!! My point is just that a gallon is a lot of water—more than you think.

You have probably already done this, but short of a shop vac, get some towels down and press on the areas to soak up as much as possible, then get some fans blowing on that spot. You'll wick some of that moisture back out from under the stand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back