RODI system working correctly?

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I’m fairly new to reefing and have been buying distilled water for the water changes which was too much... so I got myself a used RODI system to save myself some time/money. But the output for the filtered water is dripping while the waste water is flowing out which doesn’t seem efficient but what do I know. Can anyone help tell me if this is working properly? Here’s a video of it.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a flush valve on this system? If there is is it closed?

Had the membrane been allowed to dry out?

Did you replace filters and membrane when you set it up?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a ratio needed here. Most units run 4 gallons waste to 1 gallon product water. The flow restrictor is located in the waste line on some units. Cold water will have a pronounced effect on water production along with water pressure. Pressure too low & you need a booster pump. A dried out membrane needs to be replaced. Never drain the unit unless you are going to replace the membrane, filters can be changed without the membrane becoming dry. When replacing the carbon block flush it to drain before running through the membrane.

OP
OP
SenorBubs

SenorBubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tested using two 5 gal buckets and the ratio is well under 1:4. The pressure is above 40 so maybe it is the filters then. I haven’t replaced them since I got it, I bought this system used, but I do have spares. I’ll resolve them now and update you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back