RODI Top Off Additives

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by TB Nano, Nov 8, 2018.

1. TB Nano

TB Nano Member

I am currently getting my RODI at the LFS, someday maybe that will change. Either way I am storing 5 gallons and I noticed that the PH is low in that water...probably no shock to those of you that have been doing this longer than 5 weeks. I assume adding this water in will slowly drop my PH and then when I do my weekly water change it will spike back up to the 8.2 level. Being a 13.5g Nano tank I would think this will swing more than those of you with big tanks.

My question is, what do people add, if anything to their top off water? I was thinking of getting some Seachem Reef Buffer and adding it in until it gets to 8.2 or so? I plan on getting an ATO in the next few weeks, probably the Tunze based on research. I don’t have any dosers yet and that may be awhile since a new light is also in the future. Can I add reef buffer and calcium together or how do people handle this manually?

Tags:

2. Nick C

Nick C Climer not Climee, messed up creation R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Do you by chance have a powerhead in it? Shouldn't moving water maintain a higher pH than stagnant.?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  3. dwest

dwest Active Member

Make sure you know your alkalinity level before you think about dosing or adding buffer.

4. nereefpat

nereefpat Active Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Stop.

pH of RODI water doesn't matter.

Adding RODI water to your tank will not affect pH. Do not add reef "buffer" to your topoff water unless you want to increase alkalinity in the display.

saintsreturn likes this.
  5. TB Nano

TB Nano Member

Right now it is just sitting in a 5g jug with a cap on it. I manually top off the water every 1-2 days. So the lower PH in the top off water isn’t a concern? I am trying to get all of this figured out before I start adding coral.

Draft saved Draft deleted