RODI & Trace Elements

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Informed my LFS that I was using RODI now and they said be careful and make sure to replace the elements that were taken out. They said to dose trace elements. What’s this about?

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is for a salt water aquarium? If you add salt mix to the RODI, then you are adding trace elements. If you are drinking it, that is another story (just bypass the DI part for the drinking water).
Jason

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Informed my LFS that I was using RODI now and they said be careful and make sure to replace the elements that were taken out. They said to dose trace elements. What’s this about?
Lots of people use RODI - and do not add 'trace elements'.

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is for a salt water aquarium? If you add salt mix to the RODI, then you are adding trace elements. If you are drinking it, that is another story (just bypass the DI part for the drinking water).
Jason
Yes, sorry I assumed it was just a general thing that this was just for saltwater, but thank you.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting, I wonder why they would offer that to me.
Perhaps to make money? There are 'trace elements' that are in freshwater tanks that need to be replaced (i.e. its not great to use pure RODI in a freshwater tan). You do not need to replace them for saltwater

JPK

Always learning from others
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I wonder why they would offer that to me.
They probably want to sell you trace elements or they want you to buy mixed salt water from them. Like I said, if you mix your own salt, then the salt mix will have trace elements. If you use RODI for auto top off water, you are fine as is.

Some people still add trace elements, but that has nothing to do with them using RODI water

OP
OP
StPatrick89

StPatrick89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably want to sell you trace elements or they want you to buy mixed salt water from them. Like I said, if you mix your own salt, then the salt mix will have trace elements. If you use RODI for auto top off water, you are fine as is.

Some people still add trace elements, but that has nothing to do with them using RODI water
Got you, appreciate the info.

Saltinmyblood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone else it has nothing to do with rodi. You can certainly add them though

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back