RODI tubing up wall through attic question!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my research the water will make it up the wall just fine. My rodi unit is mounted about 7ft high on my laundry room wall and I have a single story ranch home. So it only has to push it vertically 3-5 feet as I plan on it having a downward slope in the attic to the room directly across the hall which is my fish room. For those of you who have done this, have you experienced any issues with the heat in the attic affecting the plastic tubing? I’m considering using the drip irrigation tubing for outdoor use but I can’t find any temperature ratings on it where as the regular john guest tubing says up to 150 degrees F. Also what are you guys using for insulation around the tube? Since it will be higher than my blown in attic insulation for downward drop I was thinking the regular grey pipe insulation that is split and u pull the adhesive backing off to seal it closed. I will be using a single run of tube with zero connections where I can not see them. Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi , i would consider foam as you stated ,but inside a run of pvc pipe.
do not want condensation getting into attic #1, #2 to protect from possible freezing in winter.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra line running through the attic all the way to the other side of the house for my frag tank. I laid it on top of my blown in insolation. Probably 50ft run. My initial thoughts were to put it in a pvc to protect it. But I never did. I'm in Texas so it gets really hot in the summer and I have had no issues. Also we had a major freeze here a couple years ago for a couple weeks and that tubing is a tank. No issues what so ever.

Ideallly it would be best to put in a 1/2" tubing or something to protect it from possible rodents if they ever got into the attic.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back