RODI

Steve88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering, on our RODI system what happens when the DI Resin has been exhausted. Does the Resin simple stop working and essentially just become an RO system? Or if continued use after the resin has been exhausted does the resin begin leaking TDS back into the water negatively effecting the water to be stored?

I try to keep plenty of resin on hand to replace it as needed but I was wondering what happens when the resin is exhausted, say in the middle of making a bucket of water and I don't realize it needs to be replaced until after the bucket has been filled.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct... the resin begins to release the most weakly bound ions - the stuff you used the resin to capture in the first place. So when you see the TDS of your DI water climb above 1 ppm, time to change it out.

Russ

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably OK with that scenario. Heck, I've let mine climb to 8 before replacing. This is why some people have gone to a 2 DI setup. Once you start seeing a reading of 1 from the 1st canister you take it off and move the second canister to the 1st position. Refill the DI that is depleted and put it in spot number 2.

Bruno516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Buckeye mentioned, once you see it jump to 1ppm you want to change the DI canister otherwise it will just increase quickly to 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 and eventually put impurities in your water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back