Rodi

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I buy a Rodi unit that is labeled “for aquarium“ use such as this Or will any rodi system do?blessings.

Last edited:

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary to be labeled as such, brs and spectrapure are very respected, and have very good rejection rates. There are definitely other companies out there though, just do your research and check reviews. Feel free to ask here if you have one you like and aren't sure about it.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that oceanic would work but i think you would be stuck using there filters. I'd go with any thing like the spectrapure or brs that use the standard filters as you can get them almost anywhere. also easy to add on to if you find you need more filtration to get pure water.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any opinions on the LiquaGen ?
id like my budget to be in the $100 price range if possible. Thanks much for your help.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work. But again
i think you would be stuck using there filters. I'd go with any thing like the spectrapure or brs that use the standard filters as you can get them almost anywhere. also easy to add on to if you find you need more filtration to get pure water.

If you could go 150 this would be better. As your not stuck trying to find replacement filters and parts.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would work. But again

If you could go 150 this would be better. As your not stuck trying to find replacement filters and parts.

I love how they say flushing the membrane will "significantly" enhance the life of the membrane. There is no proof of that.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your long term cost might be more for this system than if you would purchase one from Spectrapure or BuckeyeHydro

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id like my budget to be in the $100 price range if possible. Thanks much for your help.

They use non-standard filters so you will be stuck buying filters from them. There are similar units on the market so their filters might fit it, still can't go with the standard 10" filters which are much more common. If you go standard then you have a lot more choices such as micron size on the filters.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would be better off like other said getting a standard size one like i started with the ro buddie and it cost almost the same price to replace the filters than it does to just buy a new one where as my brs 4 stag is 20 bucks for filters

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimping on water filtration that you will use in a reef is not advisable..skimp on something else,buy a few less corals or fish at first.buy a high quality RO/DI like some of the names mentioned here - and maintain it properly..and you will be better off in the long run..

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should one look for when considering a rodi system?
Besides gallons what separates an $80 from a $200 Unit?

Last edited:

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS meters, booster pump, & pressure gauges do not come on all units.
Micron size on cartridges also play a part.
BRS, Spectrapure & Buckeye Hydro are all respected sellers.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need to spend 200 or more right away. 150ish will get you standard 10 filters that you can easily replace with standard filters you can get anywhere. The main thing to look for at first if you dont want to shell out an arm and leg is to get standard 10inch filters 4 stages is fine. Youcan easily add onto these later. Built in tds meter is better.

I started with a marine pure 4 stage unit at 60 Gpd. Over several small upgrades at a time it's now 7 stages 200 gpd.

This is your 80 unit proprietary filters hard to upgrade

Something like this
Will get you started. Standard 10inch filters you can get anywhere. Add on to it as you save up. Just find a unit that has 10inch filters. Spending a few more dollars upfront will save you from throwing out a unit when you need to upgrade later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS meters, booster pump, & pressure gauges do not come on all units
Micron size on cartridges also play a part.
BRS, Spectrapure & Buckeye Hydro are all respected sellers.
Thanks much. I’m considering both the RO Buddie and the Buckeye Hydro. Why or why not go with one over the other. If I can save $100-$200 then I’d rather go with the economy size:) My only worries is that after all of the add ons the Buckeye Hydro comes close to $300. Or could I go with the bare minimum of $140 for the Buckeye?Blessings.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just dawned to me, my bad, I should’ve mentioned my tank is a 36 gallon Top Fin tank.
thanks.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a total newbie question: what exactly do you hook a RODI system to? Garden hose? Sump pump? washing machine nozzle?totally clueless.thankx

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 174 71.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back