Rodi

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a total newbie question: what exactly do you hook a RODI system to? Garden hose? Sump pump? washing machine nozzle?totally clueless.thankx
I never used one before either. Always smaller tanks, I’m upgrading to a big boy, so I finally invested. Even with a small tank now, the RODi will last a long time.

Again, I went with AirWaterIce Typhoon III. Super easy to install, and I was a newb! Everything that could be was pre connected , everything else was clearly labeled (nice touch). Super easy to install.

I connected to my bathroom sink (easiest to access for me, but under kitchen sink and laundry rooms are very common). I bought a “John guest fitting” from amazon that allows me to just divert the cold water when I need to.

Lots of instruction videos out there. Only thing I didn’t do was connect waste water to waste water drain. I will need to catch or divert waste water as needed, I plan to run the line out to yard for irrigation. Hope this helps a little.

0E4B77EF-C8C0-4636-B9E0-8364528C87B1.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here‘s a few pics of my bathroom sink. Will this do? Pretty much the only option I have.
AA23FACB-E77A-49A5-BD6D-119649427677.jpeg
F3A7E1A8-3BE3-4CF0-A654-20624F6EE6D8.jpeg

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should one look for when considering a rodi system?
Besides gallons what separates an $80 from a $200 Unit?

A normal RO/DI unit is made up of 2 prefilters (1 sediment and 1 carbon), a RO membrane and then a DI cartridge. The sediment filter is there to protect the carbon filter. It will stop any larger items from getting to the carbon filter and clogging it up too early. The carbon takes out any chemicals or breaks them down into less harmful ones. The carbon's main job is to protect the RO membrane from chlorine since chlorine will destroy a ro membrane. The ro membrane then takes out most of the stuff in your water at a rate of 95% (what is usually guaranteed) up to 99%. The DI then takes care of anything else.

The canisters and plumbing is all generic stuff. What makes up the price difference is a lot of things already mentioned. GPD of the RO membrane, the kinds of carbon filters used and the micron rating on the filters. They usually run from 5 micron down to .5 micron. Just a quick hit, the micron rating of a normal ro membrane is .0001.

The rule of thumb for changing the prefilters is 6 months, the ro membrane should last 5+ years if you don't let chlorine get to it. You change the DI when your water is reading above 0tds. Some people add a water pressure gauge to their unit and don't change the filters until the water pressure drops off. This tells them that the filters are getting clogged up and are not running efficiently. Since you have a fairly small tank, I'm guessing you may be able to go a year on changing the prefilters.

Some things to consider. Get a water quality report from your provider, I'm assuming you are not on well water. You mainly are looking to see if they use chlorine or chloramines in the water. All the cheap units will be setup for chlorine. If you have chloramines then you will best be served getting a special carbon filter that breaks down chloramines. These of course are more expensive. Your probably could get away with a regular carbon filter for chloramines but you would need 2 of them to really get the job done. Chloramines will not hurt the ro membrane but the di will have to take care of the chloramines which means it will be used up quicker. You should also think about investing in a hand held tds meter. You can get one for $15 to $20 on amazon. A lot of people go for the ones that you hookup to the ro unit but those do not compensate for temperature. You can go with either, but you will need one of them so you can measure your tds after the di.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here‘s a few pics of my bathroom sink. Will this do? Pretty much the only option I have.

You can use this type of fitting to hook it up under the sink to the cold water, only use cold water.

This type of fitting if you want to hook it up to your faucet. You would have to make sure the fitting is the correct size.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things to consider. Get a water quality report from your provider, I'm assuming you are not on well water. You mainly are looking to see if they use chlorine or chloramines in the water.
Thanks much. Actually our water is of well water. Is well water better than water from a provider?

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AA23FACB-E77A-49A5-BD6D-119649427677.jpeg
F3A7E1A8-3BE3-4CF0-A654-20624F6EE6D8.jpeg
That’s exactly what I had to work with. I read well water can be high in TDS. My TDS was over 460, down to 0 now with RODI (but a 3-1 loss). Works great though, and wasn’t to bad to install.

Either option mentioned by Opus will work. I attached under sink since my threads on faucet were not great. I did buy colored tubing for coordination purposes.

65E61D8F-41F2-4CB7-9C3C-B3F50E665DE0.jpeg

Last edited:

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually our water is of well water. Is well water better than water from a provider?
i'm not sure what good well water mesures at, but tap water can be also quite low, or very high. mine averages 145 ppm. bad tap can measure 500 ppm. it really comes down to knowing what your working with. any water can have disolved impurites in it.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally if you do not tap into a supply line you use a plastic garden hose splitter hooked up to a sink or washing machine.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water puts you in a Completely Different Category.
Most well water has CO2 gas in it, this will use up the DI filter quickly.
The only way around is to hold the water for de-gassing then pump through the RO.
With this scenario I would buy from someone who can guide you through it from start to finish since you are a "newbie" right now.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not necessary to buy either one right now. the ro cartridge should last a few to 5 years. The cartridges could come in handy in about 6 months or so, but again not nessicary this minute.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sill searching for a rodi system and came across this. On the site it says:
FREQUENTLY BOUGHT TOGETHER
  1. This item: SpectraPure MaxPure Mpdi 90 gpd ro/di System ($179.99)
  2. Spectra Pure Standard 90 GPD RO Membrane ($39.95)
  3. Replacement Cartridge set for SpectraPure MaxPure RO/DI Systems ($39.95)
is it necessary to buy the membrane and replacement cartridge now?I’m guessing they’re for just when replacements are necessary. Just not 100%.thanks
Hence it says “replacement“ cartridges. Silly me.:)

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I buy a Rodi unit that is labeled “for aquarium“ use such as this Or will any rodi system do?blessings.
I just bought a dual reef RODI / drinking water system from AirWaterIce. They have a lifetime warranty and competitive pricing. The instructions could be a bit improved but I am happy with it so far. Your cheapest way to go is a Buddie RODI but they don't use standard size cartridges and the flow rate is slow.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a total newbie question: what exactly do you hook a RODI system to? Garden hose? Sump pump? washing machine nozzle?totally clueless.thankx
You can mount one to your kitchen sink, the washing machine or your garden hose. All attachments are available.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much. I’m considering both the RO Buddie and the Buckeye Hydro. Why or why not go with one over the other. If I can save $100-$200 then I’d rather go with the economy size:) My only worries is that after all of the add ons the Buckeye Hydro comes close to $300. Or could I go with the bare minimum of $140 for the Buckeye?Blessings.
i had narrowed it down to Buckeye Hydro and AirWaterIce as well and went with the latter because of the warranty and better pricing. The shipping was less too. The RO Buddie will limit you in the future if you want to upgrade.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had narrowed it down to Buckeye Hydro and AirWaterIce as well and went with the latter because of the warranty and better pricing. The shipping was less too. The RO Buddie will limit you in the future if you want to upgrade.
Hey, I was just checking out the airwaterice website and I’m interested in the Cyclone 4 rodi system and there’s all sorts of upgrades and add ons. Which of the ad ons are necessary? Thanks.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none of them are absolutely necessary to get running. but I'd do the tds meter myself the pressure although not necessary is a good indicator of how clogged the filters are.

OP
OP
C

Clownface

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only problem I have with the Cyclone 4 is that shipping is close to $30. Any suggestions or is it worth the shipping?thanks

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back