Rodney's First Ever Build and its Going to be a Reef !!

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone I have decided to go way in over my head and try a reef build mainly because I feel like I have a lot of support here on R2R !! I have absolutely no experience with an aquarium whatsoever other than a Beta my daughter brought home in fish bowl from the local fair. I know this is going to carry a lot of risk and a steep learning curve but I look forward to that journey more so than a finished product but that's just the way my feeble ole brain works :).

I am going to do my best to document every thing I do and purchase along with cost just so others may learn from my mistakes and or success. I will not always buy the cheapest but I want this to be a realistic poor boys build and see just how well we can do on a moderate budget. I will provide updates with each step which could happen quick or very slowly depending on funds, shipping times, or my ability to make a decision :)

I feel like this build will be a Community effort and its success will be the result of great support and knowledge of all here at R2R !!

Anyway I will hush my rambling and lets get this ball rolling !!

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1

Bought this tank and stand off well known social media site marketplace :)
I got the 55 Gallon tank and stand together for $30.00 So I figure if tank leaks or is junk I have a thirty bucks in a stand not the end of the world. It is covered in drywall dust " guy who sold it to me was remodeling his house" and it came with no accessories but for 30 bucks what are you to expect. Overlook garage its way past due for a cleaning !!

IMG_2991.jpg
IMG_2990.jpg

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2

Wife has officially "Quarantined" the tank and will not allow it inside the house until we get it cleaned up a bit hehehe.....

Son is off work today and so he decided to start cleaning the worst off the tank get it tested for leaks so we can move it indoors. Now you can see how bad garage really is.... but tank is looking better !!
part0.jpg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Rodney !!! That's a nice tank, just make sure that the silicone is good and do a water test. There's a lot to read and learn here and also the BRS YouTube videos will give a lot of ideas on how to setup your saltwater fish tank. Any question, don't hesitate to ask.

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Rodney !!! That's a nice tank, just make sure that the silicone is good and do a water test. There's a lot to read and learn here and also the BRS YouTube videos will give a lot of ideas on how to setup your saltwater fish tank. Any question, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks and rest assured I will have all kinds of questions !!

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2

First snag in my build ..... Houston we have a leak !! Maybe 30 dollar tank not such a bargain after all LOL.

Actually I'm kinda disappointed but not too dis heartened perfect time to learn about resealing a tank. I will give it my best shot and see how it goes !!

Good thing I had read enough to know its best to water test before you bring it inside.

part0.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your off to a great start there Rodney, and thanks for the build thread pictures

And welcome to R2R!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2

First snag in my build ..... Houston we have a leak !! Maybe 30 dollar tank not such a bargain after all LOL.

Actually I'm kinda disappointed but not too dis heartened perfect time to learn about resealing a tank. I will give it my best shot and see how it goes !!

Good thing I had read enough to know its best to water test before you bring it inside.

part0.jpg
I just saw new 55gal Aqueon aquariums on sale at Petco for 65$ . Good luck with your build.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodney ! Your off to a good start. The tank came out looking great ! Looks like You got a sweet deal.
So what did You Guy's use to clean the tank so well? Also take a good look at the structural integrity of the stand, gotta make sure it's good & sturdy.
Thanks for joining up . We all like to help Beginners !

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodney ! Your off to a good start. The tank came out looking great ! Looks like You got a sweet deal.
So what did You Guy's use to clean the tank so well? Also take a good look at the structural integrity of the stand, gotta make sure it's good & sturdy.
Thanks for joining up . We all like to help Beginners !

Just plain water and soap,, all that white stuff was merely drywall dust not calcium or anything cleaned up real nice. After we drained it I started to scrape out silicon and it was evident some had tried to reseal it. All the silicon just peel out in almost one continuous piece. My guess is they layed down some new without a very clean surface. I will finish cleaning this evening and reseal will post pics of that as well.

And YES I have the bug bad but trying to pace myself :)

Thanks to all for the encouragement and support !!

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw new 55gal Aqueon aquariums on sale at Petco for 65$ . Good luck with your build.

I can never seem to find those deals but thanks for the heads up if this reseal fails then I will be making a trip to Petco or somewhere we dont have many options here in southern ky,, most stores are 2+ hours away :) I am afraid if I get into a store my eyes will grow much larger than my checking account :)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plain water and soap,, all that white stuff was merely drywall dust not calcium or anything cleaned up real nice. After we drained it I started to scrape out silicon and it was evident some had tried to reseal it. All the silicon just peel out in almost one continuous piece. My guess is they layed down some new without a very clean surface. I will finish cleaning this evening and reseal will post pics of that as well.

And YES I have the bug bad but trying to pace myself :)

Thanks to all for the encouragement and support !!
That's ok You gotta make sure you get any residue of the soap. Was it like Dawn detergent for dishes? Just rinse real real good.

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal !! yep we will test again and at that time will also give it a good rinse again before proceeding.

OP
OP
Rodney Butcher

Rodney Butcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have "really" took a close look at silicone to start with. Once i started to remove the old it came out almost entirely one piece up the corners and all so the adhesion was not very good at all. It took about 10 seconds to pull 95 percent of it out with very little residue stuck to glass. My guess is it was very old or someone had tried a reseal without getting glass clean.
IMG_2993.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back