Rod's Black Onyx Clowns

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent yesterday afternoon at Rod Buehler's place, home of Rod's Food. In addition to making great reef food, Rod raises several species of clownfish and has a breeding pair of Bangaii cardinals. He raises Bangaiis, too. For those who don't know about Rod, he's rather well known in Illinois, at least for his Black Onyx clowns.

Rod has two Stichodactyla gigantea anemones, each at least 18 in. dia. and each home to a pair of Black Onyx clowns. If you want to read more about the anemones, read this article.

Yesterday's effort was to get shots of the clownfish using two flash units. One was my usual fish-shooting setup. That's flash on the hot shoe, head angled at 45 deg. and a white card attached. The second flash was mounted to the side on a tripod, aimed into the water at an angle and set in slave mode. The box tanks are already lit by a 400-W MH lamp. The two flash units helped considerably because they gave me more DOF and a faster shutter speed, allowing me to better freeze the ever-in-motion clownfish. I have to work on the technique, though, because the second flash was creating a tremendous number of air bubble and debris reflections that, on the photos I kept, took forever to clone out. I need to experiment in particular with the positioning of the slave flash.

Nonetheless, here are some shots that worked out rather well. The pair that live in the green anemone were within just a couple of hours of laying eggs and very focused on cleaning the tile on which they lay eggs. I had hoped to witness/photograph the process, but ran out of time.

Gary

greenonyx01.jpg

greenonyx02.jpg

blueonyx01.jpg

blueonyx02.jpg

blueonyx03.jpg

blueonyx04.jpg

blueonyx05.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The detail in those photos are stunning! Those are gorgeous clowns and pics!

We need Rod as a sponsor here for sure. :D

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to see Gary here as well...a very gifted photographer who came to the Atlanta Reef Club to do some teaching.

Another reefer advised that the female in the top is about to pop a load of eggs.

OP
OP
gparr

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loren, thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the female in the first two images was ready to explode. Rod was expecting them to lay eggs while I was there, but it didn't happen. I can say that that tile was the cleanest piece of ceramic on the planet. :)
Gary

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you get time write us up some articles! :D

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a sweet set of clowns and some very nice pics!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an old thread but sooooo worth revisiting! I love those clowns and the pics are superb!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody else love these clowns as much as me?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:( I know and so sad!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back