ROLLER FILTER VS FILTER SOCK IN ACTION

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the start of a battle to see if the sock or the roller filter works better for an aquarium. I know have having the roller filter on my 180 mixed reef tank for almost 2 months now that i can enjoy my tank instead of it being a chore. You be the judge by looking at these 2 tanks side by side. Enjoy, Ray.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the start of a battle to see if the sock or the roller filter works better for an aquarium. I know have having the roller filter on my 180 mixed reef tank for almost 2 months now that i can enjoy my tank instead of it being a chore. You be the judge by looking at these 2 tanks side by side. Enjoy, Ray.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks and following!

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and following!
Hows it going revhtree , glad you are following because this a interesting topic, I have found that filter socks are big problem for reef keeping , Way to much getting past the sock in turn means things can get out of control fast with uncontrolable results. This next video is day 1 of this experiment and the results are, well you be the judge. Ray.

uncle luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those metal gate valves are a no no for a saltwater tank… replace them with plastic ones for piece of mind.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic. One question for the gurus and I Dont mean to hijack your thread. Your gate valves are metal. Are they copper? Brass? If so are there concerns about copper diffusion into the tank and poisoning inverts?
The valves are brass, I used these on another tank that i had for over a year with corals and inverts with no problems. You bring up a valid question and I do not have an answer. This is mearly to show the difference between the sock and the paper. the valves show no signs of wear with saltwater , but that doesn't mean that something is leaching into the water. I am glad you brought this to my attention as i will fix this asap so it does not interfere with this project.Ray

recess62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I brought it to your attention. We invest so much time and cash that it is nice to make corrections before an issue develops

Keep us posted on the filter roll

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update , both tanks are cycling nice, filter roll is showing signs of debris but filter sock has not changed. water clarity is better with filter roll than filter sock at this point in time. new video this weekend, stay tuned everyone.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have time to watch the whole video currently but have you noticed that one or the other tank is more clear?
The roller filter tank is much more clearer than the filter sock tank. I fraged two pieces of my leather coral and inserted one in each and the filter sock tank the frag curled up. The frag in the roller filter tank is wide open. Not sure what this means as of today but time will tell! :)

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roller filter tank is much more clearer than the filter sock tank. I fraged two pieces of my leather coral and inserted one in each and the filter sock tank the frag curled up. The frag in the roller filter tank is wide open. Not sure what this means as of today but time will tell! :)
Checked the water in both tanks this morning and everything looks good so far. I think as far as the clarity of the water in the filter sock tank is the sock is letting to much pass thru it as to where the roller filter is capturing more of the impurities and holding it in the paper, not letting it past it. More vids coming as this is progressing nice!:D

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your twin experimental tanks! I could see you using the for all sorts of tests. One I would suggest is amino acids vs none for coral coloration.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter sock is 300 micron and the roller filter is 60 micron, I have not seen a filter sock less than 200 micron but i could be wrong and if anyone knows were , please let me know were!
Not surprised you're getting better performance then. 60 micron is quite fine.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised you're getting better performance then. 60 micron is quite fine.
60 micron seems to be the right choice, I have tried down to 20 but it clogs way to fast, imo the filter sock lets to many of the the smaller particals pass thru the filter and back into the system. I also seem to find my protien skimmer is not working as hard as it used too, it still pulls gunk out but i think the paper is pulling it out before it can break down and what does break down is ate up b the skimmer . That is why the water is crystal clear.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back