Roller mat for Nuvo 40

ibryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What roller mats are you all using for your Nuvo 40? I’d like to move away from filter socks, but not sure what to go with.
This new product from IM seems like it could be a decent option, but I’ve never pre ordered from them so it makes me slightly nervous. I know it’ll be a manual roller, but that price point makes it worth it to me. It sounds like it’s limited to using their fleece roll, so I’m hoping it’s a good quality one.
4E553B15-3758-461F-8BCB-FA3A46141DE0.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always run the media caddy (or upgrade to the better InTank design) with filter floss that you toss out once a week.

$149.99 for a manually-operated fleece roller seems a tad expensive. The beauty of an AIO is being able to hide some of the stuff and this seems like it would be quite the tank ornament. But to each their own.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a total waste. The InTank caddies are great. That’s what I use. It would be one thing if this was low profile and automatic. Check out the caddies and Pinky Filters.

OP
OP
ibryson

ibryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always run the media caddy (or upgrade to the better InTank design) with filter floss that you toss out once a week.

$149.99 for a manually-operated fleece roller seems a tad expensive. The beauty of an AIO is being able to hide some of the stuff and this seems like it would be quite the tank ornament. But to each their own.
Good points. I may try using the media basket that came with it. Never put it in when I set the tank up. This roller mat doesn’t even come out for another month, so I’ll see how the basket works in the meantime. Filter floss always seemed like a huge waste to me since it just gets thrown away and I would assume I would go through a lot of it, but I’ll give it a shot! Floss would be cheaper that’s for sure. I also read that a manual roller mat would have to get advanced several times a day, which does not sound good.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a total waste. The InTank caddies are great. That’s what I use. It would be one thing if this was low profile and automatic. Check out the caddies and Pinky Filters.
What type of media do you run in your caddy? I currently use foam, bio media, and purigen.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points. I may try using the media basket that came with it. Never put it in when I set the tank up. This roller mat doesn’t even come out for another month, so I’ll see how the basket works in the meantime. Filter floss always seemed like a huge waste to me since it just gets thrown away and I would assume I would go through a lot of it, but I’ll give it a shot! Floss would be cheaper that’s for sure. I also read that a manual roller mat would have to get advanced several times a day, which does not sound good.
I ran a pair of IM Lagoons for over a year and what I can tell you is that if you have a high bio load, the InTank media caddys are far superior (if you get one you'll see what I mean immediately with the slanted design).

My setup was filter floss on top, ChemiPure blue in the middle and bio media in the third.

I only went with an automatic fleece roller in my Red Sea because I was going through four (4) filter socks every 2 days. I have a lot of fish. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was eyeing 2 of these, but since I was unsure of how much rolling it would take per day, and no rolling over the weekend (office tank), and it being a bit expensive without "generic" filter rolls... Ended up sticking with the included caddy and the Intank floss holder.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of media do you run in your caddy? I currently use foam, bio media, and purigen.
I have two tanks.
In the Nuvo 40 left overflow I run Pinky Filter floss at the top and the middle is filled with Maxspect NanoTech Spheres and the bottom has a bag of Seachem Matrix carbon. The right chamber caddy has Pinky Filter floss at the top and then in the caddy I run a Santa-Monica Filtration 1.4x algae scrubber.

In my 25 Lagoon I run Pinky Filter floss and Maxspect NanoTech Bio Spheres in the left caddy. In the right caddy, I run Pinky Filter floss and a bag of either Seachem Matrix carbon or ChemiPure Blue depending on nutrient (PO4 & NO3) measurements.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back