Roller Matt Filter on a AIO Aquarium? Is it even possible?

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say its totally possible. To find a roller filter that would work with a AIO would be hard to find. most roller filter are fairly large and require some space. i wanted a roller filter on my tank 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump i built my own roller filter its been working amazing till i had a Cerith snail made his way into the filter unit and clogged up the works. due to my design ill post some pictures. If your handy with a table saw and router table anything is possible.
20200412_125223.jpg

20200415_194629.jpg

So the snail fell into the filter and his shell wedge itself in the bottom of the roller. The
Filter need to advance the roll motor kicked on tried it best but it stripped the shaft that the waste roll is attached so im currently looking at making some adjustments to the design.
20200415_193536.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paratrooper Lutz

Paratrooper Lutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. I've decided to just run an overflow through my built in sump and run the Compact Theiling Rollermatt in a 20 gallon sump below the tank. Plus it will give me easier maintaince of my Protein Skimmer and a Built in DIY Algae Scrubber. You should think about patenting your design, sometime out there needs to make a hang on mini Rollermatt for the Small Aquarium Hobbyist. I know it would sell even if they just ran a 3" Roll really if it had a pump and design simular to a hang on Skimmer Inlet outlet I wish I had the Cad program as well as a pvc printer and table saw and still press. There's got to be a market for one, the Compact Theiling Rollermatt, Klir Di-4 Filter Drop-In Fleece Filter System and the Reef Octopus CLASSIC 1000 HANG-ON-BACK PROTEIN SKIMMER all need to Make a Baby and we would end up with a Built in Overflow into the RollerMatt Chamber then get pumped back into the System, of course there would need to be a Safety Overflow Switch/ Breaker to shut the Pump off completely in the case that the Floss got jammed for some reason. I might have to send this idea over to a friend who is a Mechanical Engineer and see if he can design something on CAD that can be translated into a Blue Print, Parts Blue Print for a PVC Printer and Outside Parts list and put it up on R2R. No one else is making one for NANO Reefers so why not is here on R2R.

OP
OP
Paratrooper Lutz

Paratrooper Lutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the RollerMatt Filter Media only lasts for 1 to 2 weeks and helps clean up extra food and waste from the water column it would really advance the hobby for the NANO Reef Community which is HUGE and really in need of something like this that wouldn't break the wallet.

Blakethereefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been kicking this idea around for several months as I have a 20 gallon IM Nuvo tank. My biggest issue is how to get the filter rolls down to the size I would need about 2” wide. Not sure how I could go about cutting rolls in half since I have yet to see fleece rolls that small in width.

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been kicking this idea around for several months as I have a 20 gallon IM Nuvo tank. My biggest issue is how to get the filter rolls down to the size I would need about 2” wide. Not sure how I could go about cutting rolls in half since I have yet to see fleece rolls that small in width.

I would look on ebay search "coolant filter paper" one or two companies sell on ebay shot them a message ask them if they would cut a roll down to the width you want.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say its totally possible. To find a roller filter that would work with a AIO would be hard to find. most roller filter are fairly large and require some space. i wanted a roller filter on my tank 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump i built my own roller filter its been working amazing till i had a Cerith snail made his way into the filter unit and clogged up the works. due to my design ill post some pictures. If your handy with a table saw and router table anything is possible.
20200412_125223.jpg

20200415_194629.jpg

So the snail fell into the filter and his shell wedge itself in the bottom of the roller. The
Filter need to advance the roll motor kicked on tried it best but it stripped the shaft that the waste roll is attached so im currently looking at making some adjustments to the design.
20200415_193536.jpg
I’m late to the party but I just had to say, very nice work!! I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between this one you made and a factory made roller filter.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back