Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ron Reefman have you ever had a rfa melt?? I think I just lost the one that just had babies. Like I said it was looking kind of weird.. I now have some weird blobs in tank

I've had blobs before. They show no sign of damage prior to becoming blobs but I think they get sick and die. I see folks talk about other anemones being prone to infections and dying off so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to RFAs as well. All speculation though.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ApoIsland, I know you are knowledgeable about this stuff. And I'd really appreciate hearing back from you when babies are born. Good luck.

I just found my first baby from the spawn on Oct 3 so that’s about 41 days. Will look for more tonight.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found my first baby from the spawn on Oct 3 so that’s about 41 days. Will look for more tonight.

Thank you for the follow up. I REALLY appreciate it!

That falls pretty much in line with my personal experience of between 30 and 35 days. There were a couple posters on here that said 10 and 14 days. And there is no science that I can find anywhere that offers up and time frame. So I wanted to test it for myself. Your data falls in line quite well with mine!

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought you guys might like this picture. One of my cleaner shrimp molted and this RFA decided a leg might be appetizing.
7473C111-97EA-415F-BDE3-4D54C6EBF68A.jpeg

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update because someone reminded me about this..... Never found any babies from this batch. The RFAs in that area of the tank all spazzed and retracted around the time they should have been showing up. They're all back to normal now. I witnessed no fish harassment at the time, but I'm wondering if my filefish found the babies and was nipping around in there. The rockwork there has some very deep cracks and crevasses so maybe someone survived and is hiding out. Or maybe it was just an unsuccessful spawn.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update because someone reminded me about this..... Never found any babies from this batch. The RFAs in that area of the tank all spazzed and retracted around the time they should have been showing up. They're all back to normal now. I witnessed no fish harassment at the time, but I'm wondering if my filefish found the babies and was nipping around in there. The rockwork there has some very deep cracks and crevasses so maybe someone survived and is hiding out. Or maybe it was just an unsuccessful spawn.

Thanks for the update. I hate to say it, but even a bad result is useful information.

And your post is timely to me. I shut down my 16g RFA breeding tank. I moved all 30+ RFA to a just restructured rockscape in my 90g DT. That all happened just a few weeks ago. Last night one of my bigger RFA spawned. So now I'll be on watch around the second week of January to see if I get any babies.

Maybe 2021 will prove to be a better year after all?!?!?! o_O:eek:;Wideyed

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammer was nuking an RFA. Took a closer look and saw babies! Looks to be only about 4 or 5 though.

20201208_145155.jpg 20201208_145148.jpg

You have a hammer coral that is giving a RFA a hard time?

I just had a maxi-mini in my frag tank move over on 2 branching leathers I had cut off a few days before. The nem raised havoc with the leathers. I'm not sure they are going to make it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, tbh I had no idea the hammer would do such a thing. It's been sending out a pretty long sweeper though. I've since readjusted it away from the rfa.

20201214_154428.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a hammer coral that is giving a RFA a hard time?

I just had a maxi-mini in my frag tank move over on 2 branching leathers I had cut off a few days before. The nem raised havoc with the leathers. I'm not sure they are going to make it.
Hi Ron whats a maxi mini?
I definetely need to catch back up here for sure.
How are you getting them to breed?
Do they spawn and spit out babies,eggs? Do you need 2 to be present?
Very cool

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circle it please that big one dead center looks like a scoly or am I totally not even on right track?
dead center is an acanthophyllia

circled the two rfa in the photo theres actually a 3rd below them almost out of the photo

InkedIMG_20200614_114335_LI.jpg

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back