Ron Reefman's Rock Flower experience

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had the time to go through this thread and research on my own, but what is the secret to get these guys to spawn? Ive had the same group of 7 or so for the past couple years and they spawned once in my fluval 13.5, but that was like 3 years ago and since moving them I haven't seen them spawn again. I saw babies but iirc only one made it, then died later on from a temperature spike. Had the same ones for a while but havent seen them spawn in ages, should I try just target feeding mysis often? Havent fed them in a bit
So if happy RFA will spawn four times a year. They spawn on each equinox and solstice, so if you have a lighting system that can adjust for time of day to help simulate the natural lighting cycle it's easier to get them to spawn - but they will still follow the schedule without it.

They basically need to be conditioned with enough extra energy aka food, to have it in them to spawn. So I target feed twice a week for month leading up to each spawning as compared to where I normally just let them catch what they can the rest of the time.

I've found they usually spawn about an hour after "sunset" following this pattern. But that may just be my experience.

If you are willing to dig a little bit there was a write up in an old Reef Hobbyist Magazine issue a couple years ago that was talking about breeding RFA.

souciemm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if happy RFA will spawn four times a year. They spawn on each equinox and solstice, so if you have a lighting system that can adjust for time of day to help simulate the natural lighting cycle it's easier to get them to spawn - but they will still follow the schedule without it.

They basically need to be conditioned with enough extra energy aka food, to have it in them to spawn. So I target feed twice a week for month leading up to each spawning as compared to where I normally just let them catch what they can the rest of the time.

I've found they usually spawn about an hour after "sunset" following this pattern. But that may just be my experience.

If you are willing to dig a little bit there was a write up in an old Reef Hobbyist Magazine issue a couple years ago that was talking about breeding RFA.
Here ya go

Reef Hobbyist Magazine

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very unsure about the quote from Js.Aqua.Project that RFA's spawn on the equinoxes and solstices. Maybe they do in the wild. Maybe they do if your tank simulates the real world it terms of lighting. But I've had them spawn on dates that have no relationship to the equinoxes or solstices. So don't be surprised if your RFA's don't conform to those timelines. Just for what it's worth.

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very unsure about the quote from Js.Aqua.Project that RFA's spawn on the equinoxes and solstices. Maybe they do in the wild. Maybe they do if your tank simulates the real world it terms of lighting. But I've had them spawn on dates that have no relationship to the equinoxes or solstices. So don't be surprised if your RFA's don't conform to those timelines. Just for what it's worth.
I wouldn’t be surprised if in nature there is some kind of tides/moon trigger, but yeah I can’t imagine that holds true in tanks with constant temperatures and light schedules.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to shout out my joy to the heavens and where better!?

My Rock flowers have spawned!!!

If their reactions are coinciding as they seem to be, I have two males and three females.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mmbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow lovers of Rock Flower Anemones. I have had a group of 11 Flower Anemones for around a year now in my Nuvo15. I feed them around once a week and all seem to be doing well and thriving. The last couple of weeks i have noticed a lot of babies around the tank. Is there any guide, or does anyone have any tips on how to keep the little guys alive?

I saw in this thread that some have captured them and kept them together in a small cup. Is this the proper procedure? Have any of you all grown any into full grown adults? I see a lot of information about the anemones spawning and having the babies, but little actual info about keeping them alive. Thanks for any help you are willing to offer.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, congrats! Expect more- conditions that get them to spawn once will likely repeat. If you spot them actively spawning, you can try turkey basting some of the sperm-laden water from above the males and gently blowing it at the females, with the pumps off, to help increase fertilization and thus increase your crop.

I think people gather them up just to keep an eye on them and be more easily able to feed them. I haven't gotten lucky enough to have any baby RFAs of my own, but, being almost a livebearing anemone, they seem to work like gobies and other livebearing fish; they can fend for themselves, but may do best if rounded up and fed directly. Though guppies don't generally stick to the rocks.

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow lovers of Rock Flower Anemones. I have had a group of 11 Flower Anemones for around a year now in my Nuvo15. I feed them around once a week and all seem to be doing well and thriving. The last couple of weeks i have noticed a lot of babies around the tank. Is there any guide, or does anyone have any tips on how to keep the little guys alive?

I saw in this thread that some have captured them and kept them together in a small cup. Is this the proper procedure? Have any of you all grown any into full grown adults? I see a lot of information about the anemones spawning and having the babies, but little actual info about keeping them alive. Thanks for any help you are willing to offer.
I would collect them and put them in a pen so that it's easier to feed them and keep an eye on them. Rfa are sometimes not smart at all so it's better you can keep an eye on them and keep them out of trouble.

I have a thread on my adventures with baby rfa. Thread 'Baby RFA' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/baby-rfa.938361/

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a spoon works really well for scooping them up.
I just scooped them up with the sand around them and put them in a bowl with some rubble. Eventually, when they grow a little larger, they can attach to the rock rubble.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Loss rates can be high on the babies. Target feeding them frequently (I usually do every 2-3 days for a couple weeks) with reefroids or benereef helps them get established.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I discovered mine, they were already spread all over the tank and attached to the rocks. After that I just fed the tank as always. I only fed the adults about every 2 or 3 weeks and the babies just got some coral food sprayed at them from a turkey baster with all the pumps off and the water still.

Good luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back