Rookie Reefer XL 425

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5391.JPG
After months of research I ordered a Red Sea Reefer XL 425. I'm new to the hobby and this my first saltwater tank. The Red Sea tanks really stood out to me for being high quality and aesthetically pleasing with great reviews. It was delivered today so the fun begins...

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... I love the Red Sea tanks they're beautiful. Hang around the forums and ask all the questions you want :) I'm sure you can find just about everything you want to know here :)

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've selected a spot that will work great for both viewing and maintenance. It is directly above an area of the basement with access to water and drainage. Unfortunately I need to move a vent but with access from the basement it won't be a problem. In the next few days I'll be putting in a wood floor under the tank. Wood is probably not the ideal choice but I have extra from when I remodeled the kitchen.

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful hehe water gets all over when working with the tank so having enough room to lay down towels and such is really nice

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the return pump and a pump for my mixing station from the LFS. I went with a Varios 6 for the return and Aqua Mag 1200 for the mixing station. The Aqua Mag was relatively cheap, has enough head pressure and can be a backup for my return if necessary.

IMG_5379.JPG

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like you got your work cut out for you ;P

I use a 15g jug to store RO/DI water in then I transport it in 5g buckets up to my room where my main tank is. I guess its a bit of a pain but gives me a good work out haha

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step will be to get the tank in place and begin the plumbing. I need to figure out the best place to run a couple pipes for water changes. Current plan is to have one for draining and one for filling.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed! I love my 525. Glad you're on the forums first before starting

R_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking setup. Looking forward for the rest of the build.

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already jealous :D I don't even have a proper stand I have a metal frame haha

OP
OP
kswan

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the area directly below the tank. The mixing station station is in process. I had to go vertical in order to keep the footprint a little smaller. The bottom barrel will be for saltwater. I was able to set it forward enough for easy access.
IMG_5404.JPG
IMG_5405.JPG

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the area directly below the tank. The mixing station station is in process. I had to go vertical in order to keep the footprint a little smaller. The bottom barrel will be for saltwater. I was able to set it forward enough for easy access.
IMG_5404.JPG
IMG_5405.JPG
This is the only reason I will ever own a house... want a tank eehh drill a hole in the floor haha

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really good :)
Iv a red sea 350 so just a baby compared to yours but they are great tanks so you made the right choice

Can't wait to see you fill it ...Are you going reef ?
Mines a year old this month and Iv just got to the point of be able to stop worrying about things and being able to sit back and enjoy it

You'll have alot of ups and downs but stick at it and you'll have a beautiful tank
And never hold back on asking questions no matter if you think you sound silly, loads and loads of helpful people on this site

Good luck with it all and enjoy
Here's a pic of mine a year in ;Greedy lol

IMG_20170416_203356.jpg

IMG_20170416_203434.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back