Rookie setting up new reef tank!

Kwann373

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody!

I’m relatively new to the hobby, and new to reef2reef!

I took over a friends saltwater tank a couple of years ago, it was a 10 gallon tank with live rock, live sand, and 1 clown (ocellaris). I added a second clown and left it at that.

Finally I am ready to upgrade! I bought a 45 gallon tank in January, filled it with 30lbs of new live rock, (and 10lbs of live rock from the 10 gallon tank) also I added more live sand and let it cycle. I’ve recently transferred the two clown fish into the new tank along with a couple of snails I’ve had for a while.

Now I’m trying to plan for what’s next! I want to eventually have fish and lps.

I set up the old 10 gallon tank as a quarantine tank, due to the research I’ve done I figured this was a no brainer. I’m reaching out because I’m curious to whether or not people qt their cuc? I was about to start adding my first fish but this threw me for a loop. To qt cuc do I need to add sand and rock to the qt? Do I need two separate qt tanks? I’m in a small apartment so space is limited. does scrubbing snail/hermit shells prevent the introduction of pests? Any and all advice is welcome!

Also I would love some input to reef safe fish that would do well in a 45 gallon, and some of your favorite lps beginner corals!

I currently have a fluval 307 canister filter (I couldn’t/didn’t have what I needed to do a sump) But I plan on adding a protein skimmer in the next month. Will this suffice for filtration?
sorry for the long post, and thank you if you read this far!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun times planning new systems.

I quarantine cuc for at least 30 days and try to go 76 days if possible. I have sand in my coral/invert quarantine tank.... helps with some snails, hermits, etc..

I also have a single piece of live rock in there... gives room for algae to grow and bacteria.

If you quarantine corals, you also need a cheap black box light. You can do all this in a 5-10g tank with a HOB filter, heater, and maybe a small powerhead.

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost the same situation as me minus the larger tank. Will scale up when I have more space. Following.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back