Rough night - and the day will be difficult....

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needed to vent.. It's been some time since I posted. Things have been well and fun. But sometimes you have a perfect storm that can really throw you off. My corals were receding over the last day and I was trying to figure it out. I added two emerald crabs Friday and was thinking there is no way they are irritating everyone this fast. The tank has been running for almost 3 years now. I'm not blaming any products or manufacturers, things happen. I figured get a water change ready (my go to), so I got the water together and it was mixing. SO, my controller locked, figured that out last night and I am sending that back to have it looked at. The controller was one safety net and it just so happens my heater locked on also. Late last night, I was going to bed and it hit me, check the temp. I have a battery powered alarm that looked fine, but the battery was low so the alarm did not sound but the temp was displayed, 95 degrees... I'm grateful I had water ready and slowly did a large water change with everything I had on hand. Once I did what I could and got the temp to 87, the best I could do since I was out of water. Now I'm thinking bags of ice in a ziplock, but my head is clearer this morning.

I take losses in my tanks very hard because I know their well being is up to me. So far I only see one cardinal down. My nems and corals, only time will tell but it's does not look good. I already started another batch of water last night for another change today. Now that the water is made, I can mix this morning.

If you are reading this, even if you think you have it all figured out, still check, change batteries, actually make sure things are working periodically for your backups, and those backups. I'm sure it could be worse, but... I appreciate this site and the folks here. I've learned so much over the years and spent so much time chatting. So, this feels like the right place to come when something like that happens and let it out. Thanks for taking the time to read this..

This was my tank before yesterday:

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everything pulls through for you!

This thread is a good reminder.
I’m gonna put my battery powered backups on the same 6 month smoke detector battery changing schedule.
and that just reminded me I need to do that too.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oof, sorry to hear it!

I had a similar loss related to 'thinking' everything was working well. My ATO had stopped and i didn't catch it for about 4 days and my salinity spiked and killed off some brand new SPS frags. blah.

season changes here in the NE have a huge impact on my daily top off requirements, and i hadn 't adjusted MY schedule to check e very day.

best of luck!

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my old Apex with the new one. I lost all my fish except for a file fish and the two diamond back gobis. The zoas and pipe organ came back. Some of the mushrooms also came back. I move two ocelaris clowns from my 32 to this tank. Thinking about breaking down and selling my bio cube and stand just to focus on one tank. So still hanging in there and trying not to get too discouraged. I hope folks are doing well and thanks for asking and following up.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needed to vent.. It's been some time since I posted. Things have been well and fun. But sometimes you have a perfect storm that can really throw you off. My corals were receding over the last day and I was trying to figure it out. I added two emerald crabs Friday and was thinking there is no way they are irritating everyone this fast. The tank has been running for almost 3 years now. I'm not blaming any products or manufacturers, things happen. I figured get a water change ready (my go to), so I got the water together and it was mixing. SO, my controller locked, figured that out last night and I am sending that back to have it looked at. The controller was one safety net and it just so happens my heater locked on also. Late last night, I was going to bed and it hit me, check the temp. I have a battery powered alarm that looked fine, but the battery was low so the alarm did not sound but the temp was displayed, 95 degrees... I'm grateful I had water ready and slowly did a large water change with everything I had on hand. Once I did what I could and got the temp to 87, the best I could do since I was out of water. Now I'm thinking bags of ice in a ziplock, but my head is clearer this morning.

I take losses in my tanks very hard because I know their well being is up to me. So far I only see one cardinal down. My nems and corals, only time will tell but it's does not look good. I already started another batch of water last night for another change today. Now that the water is made, I can mix this morning.

If you are reading this, even if you think you have it all figured out, still check, change batteries, actually make sure things are working periodically for your backups, and those backups. I'm sure it could be worse, but... I appreciate this site and the folks here. I've learned so much over the years and spent so much time chatting. So, this feels like the right place to come when something like that happens and let it out. Thanks for taking the time to read this..

This was my tank before yesterday:

Beautiful tank. What kind of nem is that? She is so beautiful. Does it look like the nem will pull though?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thats not good :(
Hopefully the road ahead is positive !!

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. What kind of nem is that? She is so beautiful. Does it look like the nem will pull though?
Lost the nem also. Taking my time to let it settle. I should have known the impact of the event would take a few months to work out. Since then I found another nem, not like that though... Thanks for asking.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the nem also. Taking my time to let it settle. I should have known the impact of the event would take a few months to work out. Since then I found another nem, not like that though... Thanks for asking.
What type of nem was she? She was beautiful. Your whole tank was something to be proud of. I m hoping my tank is as beautiful as yours.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you really really care about the well being of your livestock and this must’ve hit you hard. Just remember that you are not a bad reef keeper, and the fact that you had so many backups planned means that you are a really good one. Tragedies happen to all of us, just get back up :). The tank was beautiful before the crash, but now you have the opportunity to get new corals and take it in another direction. Best of luck to you and your future tank!

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of nem was she? She was beautiful. Your whole tank was something to be proud of. I m hoping my tank is as beautiful as yours.
I've enjoyed the tank. Even more since I been blessed to work from home during these crazy times. Not sure of the type of nem, it was striking to see and grew so much.. Thanks for your kind words.

OP
OP
Flexin

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your loss, it sounds like you really really care about the well being of your livestock and this must’ve hit you hard. Just remember that you are not a bad reef keeper, and the fact that you had so many backups planned means that you are a really good one. Tragedies happen to all of us, just get back up :). The tank was beautiful before the crash, but now you have the opportunity to get new corals and take it in another direction. Best of luck to you and your future tank!
Thank you. Honestly hearing from folks has helped. And to your point, it gives an opportunity to ask if you can do it differently, what would you do... So definitely rethinking fish and corals.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Honestly hearing from folks has helped. And to your point, it gives an opportunity to ask if you can do it differently, what would you do... So definitely rethinking fish and corals.
I’m sure tank 2.0 is gonna be awesome!! Especially with all the experience you gained through your original reef, the restart will likely be a lot more thought out and amazing!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back