ROWAPHOS releasing a red/brown cloud

SkillNotFound07

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
Utrecht
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I recently moved and now I have an Phosphate spike (0,30). I suspect it was hidden in my sandbed. Anyways, I tried adding Rowaphos to remove the phosphate. However, once I added a little bag of the stuff it started releasing a kind of red/brown cloud, kind of a rusty color. And i couldn't find anyone with the same issues online, hence the post. Does anyone know why this is happening, if it is dangrous and what to do about it? It is my first time using rowaphos.
I read somewhere it cant be used in combination with NoPox which i usually dose in small amounts. However I stoped dosing a week ago and did a 40% waterchange yesterday.
Hope someone can help me, Waterchanges don't appear to be helping so im starting to get a bit desperate as my corals dont look happy. If any more information is required please let me know
 
That’s iron oxide.. it helps to rinse it first like carbon.. with that being said I don’t think it would have hurt your corals I’ve used it in the past and no issues with the rust coming out! I’d guess it took your p04 down extremely fast depending how much you used and that made the corals upset! A little bit goes a long way!
 
Thanks! I let is soak in fresh water for 15 minutes or so and indeed, no more red clouding! I didnt use the rowaphos yet, the corals are upset because of the high amount of phosphate iguess. Thanks for the help and quick response!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new