ROX 0.8 vs Red Sea Reef Spec

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigMax
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BigMax

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2019
Messages
215
Reaction score
185
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in the hobby for over 40 years, and during that time I’ve only had two fish develop HLLE—both were Pomacanthus (Imperator and Chrysurus). I currently have a large Emperor in my 350g FOWLR tank and he looks great, but I’d like to “polish” the water a bit.

Although I use ROX 0.8 on other tanks, I’m hesitant to use it on my 350. Maybe I’m a bit paranoid, but I just don’t fully trust it with large angels.

I queried an AI site with the same question and it suggested using Red Sea Reef Spec rather than ROX, stating that Reef Spec is coconut shell–based, while ROX is an extruded carbon blend.

Does anyone have any insight or real-world experience comparing the two, particularly with HLLE-prone fish like Pomacanthus?
 
No experience with HLLE but I remember reading somewhere that the coconut carbon can nuke your tank...
It looks like it's only Petcos Imagitarium... but I don't know if it would be worth the risk.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/carbon-nuke-my-tank.1128173/That's one thread on here, there are several others, look up coconut in the search.
 
No experience with HLLE but I remember reading somewhere that the coconut carbon can nuke your tank...
It looks like it's only Petcos Imagitarium... but I don't know if it would be worth the risk.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/carbon-nuke-my-tank.1128173/That's one thread on here, there are several others, look up coconut in the sear
Thanks for the heads-up. It begs a lot of questions, it will interesting to see what else pops up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new