ROX Carbon, Triton and HLLE Question

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang for about a year now. While I had him in quarantine, he developed HLLE. I started him on Selcon soaked spirilina and haven't stopped. At one point it looked like it was getting better, and stabilized. I have noticed over the past few weeks his HLLE is looking worse. He has plenty of room in the tank, gets selcon soaked frozen foods and daily purple and green nori.

My main display tank is running the triton method and has been stable ever since. I'm using a BRS dual reactor with GFO and ROX 0.8 carbon. I swap out the carbon bi-weekly and rinse it by running the entire reactor with RODI. I'm just curious if I'm missing something?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it getting worse? Any signs of improvement?. If it’s not getting worse then you’re doing everything right. Some fish never fully recover and sometimes it can take a long time. I doubt Rox would be causing it...I’ve had my kole tang for years and am using Rox without problems.

OP
OP
G

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't appear to be spreading, but it is looking more severe. And by severe the erosion's color has changed to more whitish gray and appears to be deeper
Is it getting worse? Any signs of improvement?. If it’s not getting worse then you’re doing everything right. Some fish never fully recover and sometimes it can take a long time. I doubt Rox would be causing it...I’ve had my kole tang for years and am using Rox without problems.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis and NLS Pellets are a good diet. Vitamin A and E the most likely thing to help... both of those can come in the mysis.

Many, many people, including myself use carbon and have no issues with HLLE. I do feed a good diet to my fish, though. I do not use ROX that small since it gets everywhere, though.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Purple Tang that is more than a decade old (older than one of my kids, so I remember) and a Chocolate that is even older than that. They are omnivores, not strict herbivores. The vitamins and fatty acids in the meat are super important, IMO. I used to use Zoe and Selcon as additives until Mysis was introduced, but the Mysis takes care of all of this now. They can have a large part of their diet made up of Nori, but they need some meat. Most high quality pellets also have Spirulina in them for their veggie needs. Try to get it eating a good amount of NLS or Formula 2 pellets.

A lot of poeple blame stray voltage for HLLE. I have never had any to speak of (everybody has a bit), so I do not know about this first-hand.

OP
OP
G

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, no Ozone. pH runs between 8.04-8.21 daily average is about 8.13 per the Apex. Nutrient export is about 6-7 pound of chaeto, oversized protein skimmer, ROX 0.8 Carbon and GFO running in a BRS dual reactor.

I doubt the ROX carbon is a contributing cause. I’m not sure what the problem is.

I assume you do not use ozone?

OP
OP
G

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say with decent certainty there's no stray voltage. The salinity probe on the Apex is basically conductivity probe. If I take some tank water and place it in a cup and put the probe in, I get the exact same reading as what I get in the tank.

I have a Purple Tang that is more than a decade old (older than one of my kids, so I remember) and a Chocolate that is even older than that. They are omnivores, not strict herbivores. The vitamins and fatty acids in the meat are super important, IMO. I used to use Zoe and Selcon as additives until Mysis was introduced, but the Mysis takes care of all of this now. They can have a large part of their diet made up of Nori, but they need some meat. Most high quality pellets also have Spirulina in them for their veggie needs. Try to get it eating a good amount of NLS or Formula 2 pellets.

A lot of poeple blame stray voltage for HLLE. I have never had any to speak of (everybody has a bit), so I do not know about this first-hand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back