Royal Exclusiv Supermarin 160

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to find out more about this skimmer and in particular the Red Dragon X5000 pump. Doesn't seem to be very much info or feedback on this particular model. Can anyone share their experience with it and how it compares to other models?

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I figured I’d share my take on this skimmer.
Im. Not going to lie. I was a bit nervous about buying this skimmer because there is NO pertinent info on it!
The skimmer is a cross between a mini and a Supermarin.
I find it fits into the mini category based on appearance. The major difference is the external pump on the SM 160 vs the internal on the mini.
I was thrown off by the manual as it does not reference the 160 at all.
It is the manual for the 200 and up Supermarin.
I went on Royal Exclusiv’s website and they have the same manual online.
I really wanted to fall in love with this skimmer but in all honesty that didn’t happen, initially.
The packing was beautifully done.
The bag gave it that added something where you felt you had something very special.
The pump, the pump is small, compact and comes with extra parts.
After fitting little tubes and vinyl hoses from the extras bag I realized that they were for the pump in other applications.
I started getting frustrated. How could such a fine piece of equipment not come with proper pertinent instructions?
I called the vendor, they had no knowledge of how to install it and offered to take it back.
Initially I was ready to go with the return.
But it looked so nice and the controller looked like an iPhone.
Keep trying….
I went on You tube looked at videos. No one had any info on this model with the X Series pump.
Now I’m on a mission!
I had ripped the first O gasket trying to get the pump on. Yes I used the O ring lubricant. Still ripped it.
I put the skimmer in the sump and slid the pump onto the intake tube without the O ring.
It fit loosely and I knew that wasn’t going to work.
The next day I came back and turned the thing on.
Was it on?
water is rising, it has to be on.
Turned off the return pump.
Closed the door to the room.
I think I hear something but not sure…
That’s a PLUS!
Emailed with the vendor and they sent me a return label.
They just had no real info on how to set this thing up properly.
I went back at it.
I put a clear O ring which was in the parts bag on the pipe and slid the pump on. Being wet seems to have helped.
I read more on the mini and where the ideal depth and water level should be.
I followed through on those instructions and let it run without the cup for a day.
I put the cup on Sunday. It’s been making some pretty impressive stuff.
All in all I like this skimmer. I’m not yet in love with it. We’re just getting to know each other.
She has great qualities. She’s a hard worker, very much on the quiet side. I just hope I can find out more about her.
Maybe I’ll get to talk to her parents and they can tell me what she likes and how to make her happy?
1F83FF07-1B6D-426D-A8E1-8F1311793C30.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d update my experience with the Supermarin 160. If you read the previous posts you’ll know that I decided to keep the skimmer despite my disappointment with the instructions provided by the company and the lack of knowledge By the vendor.
Since my initial post I’ve seen some updated instructions which aren’t exactly for the Supermarin 160 but at least present a clearer presentation than the original documentation and online instructions.
That being said, I’m glad I decided to keep the skimmer.
It does a very nice job of skimming and keeping my nutrients low. Noise is almost non existent and cleaning the cup is a breeze with the removable cup. No trying to clean around the inner sleeve. Just remove it, wash it and the cup with a rag, reinsert it and you’re good to go. The cup drops onto the skimmer easily so there is no twisting the skimmer around in the sump.
Haven’t had to clean the motor yet so will update when that comes about.

Attachments

• 4680043A-DF6D-45F9-BC80-0511B63D885E.jpeg
    4680043A-DF6D-45F9-BC80-0511B63D885E.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted on the pump performance. These new Red Dragon X pumps are replacing the Red Dragon 3s (which replaced the original Askolls) on all the bigger models as well. It will be interesting to see if they continue the legacy of silent and reliable operation. I used to cringe at the prospects of having to replace my pump if it failed (for almost $1k), but these RDX pumps are compatible and like 1/3rd of the price. Happy days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted on the pump performance. These new Red Dragon X pumps are replacing the Red Dragon 3s (which replaced the original Askolls) on all the bigger models as well. It will be interesting to see if they continue the legacy of silent and reliable operation. I used to cringe at the prospects of having to replace my pump if it failed, but these RDX pumps are compatible and like 1/3rd of the price. Happy days.
Will do, They are small and plastic. Reminds me of the Reef Octopus Pumps. The Controller looks like an iPhone which I say as a positive. I will keep the forum updated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow,
How’d you ever find that?
You’re right. They look VERY similar
That being the case, what do we know about the Platinum Blue? Seems that the major change is the impeller and changing some settings on the controller.
Interesting that the Platinum Blue comes with a 5 Year warranty
Not totally sure what the warranty on the RDX is. Initially while chatting with vendor rep they said 5 years then two… after reading through the manual it appears that it’s 1 year.
Royal Exclusiv guarantees 5 years of part availability for the motor at the customers expense if replacement parts are needed after the warranty period expires.
The one year is tucked away in the previous paragraphs.

Upvote 0

Norwayeagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi flyfisher2

I found this thread and wonder how your experience with the SM 160 is now?
I have been a fan of royal exclusiv products for years, love my Dreambox and former Deluxe skimmer. Now I looking for a smaller skimmer as my existing Double Cone 200 will be to large for my revised setup with a smaller sump and a roller filter.

Are you still satisfied, and I would very much like to hear how you clean the tubes inside the skimmer body?
The DC200 and SM 160 have similar capacity rating, so the footprint of the SM 160 is my reason to eventually change.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very satisfied and do recommend the skimmer. It’s a ’wet’ skimmer and by this I mean that you will get a dark tea colored skimmate.
I own a couple other larger skimmers but I don’t relish the thought of the space they would take in my sump.
As far as cleaning the tubes, I use a bottle brush and that seems to do the job nicely.

Upvote 0

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at RE, but wondering about proper sizing. I am setting up 180G, but custom 2 inches taller (60x30x26) so call it 200G. Will have socks, skimmer, and refugium in mixed tank with "average" fish load. I read you have to be careful not to oversize the RE brand. Any recommendations?

Upvote 0

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at RE, but wondering about proper sizing. I am setting up 180G, but custom 2 inches taller (60x30x26) so call it 200G. Will have socks, skimmer, and refugium in mixed tank with "average" fish load. I read you have to be careful not to oversize the RE brand. Any recommendations?

I think a mini 180 would suit you well. They’re set it and forget it, and easy to clean. I loved my mini 160.

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My theory is that they are rebranded Platinum Blue pumps. The bodies look almost identical.
The bigger ones are just Laguna pond pumps with a modified Volute.. same with the atb skimmers back in the day..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go 180 or larger
The 160 l’m using is great on my SCA 150. I don’t see it on anything larger.

Upvote 0

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the mini Bubble King skimmers are the same as they all have the same type of body, The Mini 160, 180, 200, same shape different diameters and pumps.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back