Royal Gramma Basslet

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time owning a Royal Gramma Basslet, so not sure if it's typical or not for them to try and jump out of the tank, but pretty sure mine is gone now. Or it's hiding in a new spot. I bought it about four days ago, and it was eating and hiding, but it also tried to jump out of the tank when I first put it in.

Is the normal jumping behavior for the royal gramma basslet?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The royal gramma's I have had have always been super shy and timid, mine likes to hide behind the rocks all day leaning up against the back glass. Any fish can jump, but they are not known jumpers like some blennies or gobies.

What else is in the tank and what size tank? Jumping is usually due to being chased.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time owning a Royal Gramma Basslet, so not sure if it's typical or not for them to try and jump out of the tank, but pretty sure mine is gone now. Or it's hiding in a new spot. I bought it about four days ago, and it was eating and hiding, but it also tried to jump out of the tank when I first put it in.

Is the normal jumping behavior for the royal gramma basslet?
Mine was hiding for about a week and I've had it for 8 years. It has changed up hiding spots over the years.
They like to sleep up side down in caves or overhangs so they may be hard to spot.
It may come out at feeding if it's a real tasty food. It may dart in and out quickly,so keep an eye out.

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The royal gramma's I have had have always been super shy and timid, mine likes to hide behind the rocks all day leaning up against the back glass. Any fish can jump, but they are not known jumpers like some blennies or gobies.

What else is in the tank and what size tank? Jumping is usually due to being chased.
It's a waterbox 80-gallon display tank. There are only 2 green Chromis and 1 clown in the tank. Should be plenty of space for the little guy I think.

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was hiding for about a week and I've had it for 8 years. It has changed up hiding spots over the years.
They like to sleep up side down in caves or overhangs so they may be hard to spot.
It may come out at feeding if it's a real tasty food. It may dart in and out quickly,so keep an eye out.
Thank you ill keep looking. My thought was the little guy jumped out and the cat ate it.

Back