Royal Gramma disappeared

RafaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just cycled my new tank (Fluval flex 123L), so added my first fish today, a royal gramma.

He was fine and swimming about, but now he’s disappeared and I can’t see him anywhere…. I know this is probably ridiculous and I know new fish tend to hide, but I tried to make the rock work so you could always see the caves, but I cannot see him anywhere, so was hoping for some ideas where he might have gone, is it possible they can end up in the back end?

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RG spent the first few weeks basically living in a cave and would dart in there anytime somebody came near the tank. Now he's a lot more confident and is generally swimming around with all the others but will still find a hole to lay in from time to time.
I wouldn't say that yours is being especially weird unless you are absolutely sure that you can see every possible hiding place.

OP
OP
R

RafaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RG spent the first few weeks basically living in a cave and would dart in there anytime somebody came near the tank. Now he's a lot more confident and is generally swimming around with all the others but will still find a hole to lay in from time to time.
I wouldn't say that yours is being especially weird unless you are absolutely sure that you can see every possible hiding place.
Does he come out when you put food into tank?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the filters and around the outside of the tank?

Royal grammas are great hiders - they find caves you didn’t know existed.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a new fish will completely hide the first day or two, probably will not eat on the first day, maybe not the second day either. I find that fishes usually start exploring around the 3rd or 4rth day IME

OP
OP
R

RafaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• A3D6CDE4-AEA1-4AE5-AE7D-57A0D7684939.jpeg
    A3D6CDE4-AEA1-4AE5-AE7D-57A0D7684939.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
R

RafaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the filters and around the outside of the tank?

Royal grammas are great hiders - they find caves you didn’t know existed.
Definitely not out the tank luckily!

just can’t imagine where he is , unless he’s buried in under one of the rocks at an angle I can’t see!

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he come out when you put food into tank?
He does now but only eats frozen or live food (he used to take the occasional pellet but doesn't seem fussed with them now).
He was my third fish after a Clown pair. He decided on his territory and bossed it when I added some Green Chromis. Since then I've added a Convict Tang, Foxface Rabbitfish and an Orange spotted Goby.
He tried to boss the FFRF but got seen off and the Goby filled in his caves! I'm not entirely sure where he sleeps now but since being knocked down a couple of pegs he's mellowed out somewhat!

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back