Royal Gramma in a 10 gal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tinnerito
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tank suitable for a Royal Gramma?

  • Yes

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • No

    Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Depends on...

    Votes: 5 20.0%

  • Total voters
    25

Tinnerito

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2024
Messages
662
Reaction score
484
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up this 10 gallon sponge and macroalgae tank, and I've read from many hobbyists that "A royal gramma is the perfect centerpiece fish for a 10 gallon nano tank, and coexists with other fish". However, I've also read several of "Royal gramma in a small tank will be territorial against other fish, so is not recommended unless 20 gallons and up".

But these are just from articles and faq's from random websites I found, so I want to know what you think. My current stock list regarding fish is just a green clown goby, high fin goby, and a firefish, adding up to 7" max.

I am perfectly okay with excluding the royal gramma, but would like to get one if there is plenty of space left. Thanks in advance.
 
"Inches" has little to do with it. Gramma in a 10 is a bad idea even just by itself. Live Aquaria recommends at least a 30.
My lfs goes by the "inch per gallon" system and grammas get to 3 inches so I thought it could work. :grinning-face-with-sweat:
 
My lfs goes by the "inch per gallon" system and grammas get to 3 inches so I thought it could work. :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Got it. It is more about temperament than size, however size does influence temperament...
 
My lfs goes by the "inch per gallon" system and grammas get to 3 inches so I thought it could work. :grinning-face-with-sweat:
I'm not trying to accuse anyone here, but a LFS is in the business of selling fish. Good for you for doing your own homework.
 
I'm not trying to accuse anyone here, but a LFS is in the business of selling fish. Good for you for doing your own homework.
Yeah, I truly love r2r mostly because I can get a lot of genuine answers from those that really know whats best for a saltwater setup.
 
My lfs goes by the "inch per gallon" system and grammas get to 3 inches so I thought it could work. :grinning-face-with-sweat:
That is a horrible thing to say. More like 1“per 5-10 gallons.

Grammas get bigger than 3”
 
I'm setting up this 10 gallon sponge and macroalgae tank, and I've read from many hobbyists that "A royal gramma is the perfect centerpiece fish for a 10 gallon nano tank, and coexists with other fish". However, I've also read several of "Royal gramma in a small tank will be territorial against other fish, so is not recommended unless 20 gallons and up".

But these are just from articles and faq's from random websites I found, so I want to know what you think. My current stock list regarding fish is just a green clown goby, high fin goby, and a firefish, adding up to 7" max.

I am perfectly okay with excluding the royal gramma, but would like to get one if there is plenty of space left. Thanks in advance.
I wouldnt in a 10g no
 
While suitable for a nano, its like placing the devil in a habitat
 
Yeah, I truly love r2r mostly because I can get a lot of genuine answers from those that really know whats best for a saltwater setup.
Thank you for asking your questions on here! The questions you ask help out other people who might have a similar question, but are too afraid to ask it
 
by itself, in my experience, yes that'd be ok, though the tank would be the minimum size I'd ever consider for a gramma. With any other fish? definitely not unfortunately, the gramma will claim the whole tank as its territory.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new