Royal Gramma MIA - What to think?

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we got a Royal Gramma about 3 weeks ago....shouldn't have named it. I am sure that is what did this haha. this is in my 29g Biocube.

He has been out and about for 3 weeks eating and doing his thing. This last week he started coming out to greet me before I dropped the food in. My clowns didn't seem to mind him or chase him around at all. They are my only fish in the tank.

Friday he disappeared though. Haven't seen the body, haven't seen an ammonia spike. Checked all the back chambers and the floor around my tank. Cant find him.

I added a drop of garlic to my reef frenzy today to try and entice him out but no luck.

Is it normal for a Royal Gramma to go MIA like this or is he likely dead? Are they known to hide for multiple days? I dont have hermits but I do have Nassarious snails that might have ate him. But he was eating and seemed to be acting normal. Clowns are still doing there usual. Big ol pigs.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have the stock cover on the tank? It's not unheard of, but Biocube's are pretty escape proof, except over the front chamber wall. The snails probably wouldn't predate him but would clean him up if he checked out. As gramma's are generally cave dwellers I'd do a thorough search of the rock.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check all of the chambers in the bio cube with the pump off. Royal Grammas do like to hide in caves that can be pretty small but I have not experienced them hiding for days. I would also check the floor as fish always seem to find the once tiny space to fit through.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that sometimes fish like firefish will suddenly disappear into a rock for no reason and it come out for weeks. Maybe its the same for him.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sound maudlin, but do you have a cat? I DO agree with Alex G, check the back chambers, esp #3, preferably with the pump pulled out and you may find him. I'm not inclined to think he's found a crevice to hide in, esp as he was coming out to greet you before.

OP
OP
M

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y'all I will pull out the pump and check it out a bit closer.

OP
OP
M

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No go on the sump area. Prob dead....sadly....maybe he will show back up from a long vacation in the rocks.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No go on the sump area. Prob dead....sadly....maybe he will show back up from a long vacation in the rocks.
Sorry to hear you did not find him. I would say there is a high probability that he died and was consumed or is stuck in the rocks. Either way if the tank is still healthy and the water parameters are stable I would not tear it apart to try and find that fish.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find RGs do much better in pairs or groups after all they are found in aggregations on the reef they are social animals.They are much more comfortable with those of their own kind and bolder. Yours might simply be hiding away so all is not lost, give it a bit more time.
Here is my current 4 I have in my 100 gallon.
20170221_162217.jpg

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find RGs do much better in pairs or groups after all they are found in aggregations on the reef they are social animals.They are much more comfortable with those of their own kind and bolder. Yours might simply be hiding away so all is not lost, give it a bit more time.
Here is my current 4 I have in my 100 gallon.

Interesting. LA specifically says to keep them singly "Since it demonstrates territorial aggression towards its own kind, the Royal Gramma Basslet should be housed singly."
How long have yours been together? I love the group of them.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. LA specifically says to keep them singly "Since it demonstrates territorial aggression towards its own kind, the Royal Gramma Basslet should be housed singly."
How long have yours been together? I love the group of them.

I am sorry but LA speaks with forked tongue, well IME anyway that is far from true. I have kept a number of RGs in pairs over the years and it's easy to get a pair formed. With my current tank, I introduced 2 juvenile RGs about 12 months ago, I added another 2juveniles about 7 months ago without a single issue with them all. Here is a vid taken at the end of February this year not long after I introduced the second pair.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still think you can't keep more than one? :p
Seriously, I do wonder about some of the poor advice you get on the net at times.;Bookworm
RG's are to my mind brilliant little fish and one of my favorites. I have kept 2 pairs and now a group of 4 in my 36 years reefing.
RG's are small, colorful. peaceful, long-lived, unassuming, eat most foods, relatively hardy, quite cheap, easy going, can be kept singular, in pairs or groups and will spawn in the aquarium. as mine often have.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still think you can't keep more than one? [emoji14]
Seriously, I do wonder about some of the poor advice you get on the net at times.;Bookworm
RG's are to my mind brilliant little fish and one of my favorites. I have kept 2 pairs and now a group of 4 in my 36 years reefing.
RG's are small, colorful. peaceful, long-lived, unassuming, eat most foods, relatively hardy, quite cheap, easy going, can be kept singular, in pairs or groups and will spawn in the aquarium. as mine often have.
But I once had one that used shrimp as chew toys.....crazy buggers.

mps026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see mine once every month dont lose hope. She hides in a cave the vast majority of the time. Thinking about getting another after reading the other posts.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that royal grammas do work well together in groups. I plan to add a large group to one of my tanks as they are such a peaceful and colorful fish.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any anemones or cats roaming the house?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people confuse RGs with the Royal dottyback which are totally different fish esp character wise.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back