Royal gramma with large wound (help!)

Dierker0000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I have a 40gal reef with a coral beauty, royal gramma, skunk cleaner and a clownfish. The last few days the gramma has been fine but I noticed a small wound on the side of him that seemed to get bigger today. Thought maybe just from a rock etc... anyways I noticed he was hiding in a crevasse of a rock Nearly all day so I decided to check him out. I moved my hand down to see if he would swim off but no reaction. I actually moved the whole rock and he did not want to budge. So I netted him out and he was not normally swimming. Moving and breathing but kinda just floating around sometimes upside down. I netted him and took him to the QT. This is weird because I just finished 3 days of ruby reef rally on my main tank. So I’m quarantine he is obviously stressed but he can keep upright and swims when scared. Right now he is kinda sitting on the filter inlet. All I have for medicine is paraguard. What do I do? Please help I don’t want this guy to die as I have lost to many fish already and if this guy dies I’m done. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on fish that barely last two weeks with all the medicine I can get. Thanks

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your head up! :) Trust me, it may be difficult to lose fish/pets, but it unfortunately happens in this hobby. I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, I lost a few fish my family had grown very fond of. It made me want to quit and get out of the hobby for good, but I took a deep breath and stepped back from the hobby for a minute and retracted my decision to quit.

As for the Gramma, do you have any pics or videos?
He will probably need extra care and attention with medications and feedings. There are lots of great people who can help on here, I promise that!

OP
OP
Dierker0000

Dierker0000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your head up! :) Trust me, it may be difficult to lose fish/pets, but it unfortunately happens in this hobby. I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, I lost a few fish my family had grown very fond of. It made me want to quit and get out of the hobby for good, but I took a deep breath and stepped back from the hobby for a minute and retracted my decision to quit.

As for the Gramma, do you have any pics or videos?
He will probably need extra care and attention with medications and feedings. There are lots of great people who can help on here, I promise that!

f6e6de99b910c8f9483b67fc4df6edcb.jpg

Here’s a picture of the gramma. Yes I know but it’s just getting too expensive and they all keep dying.

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f6e6de99b910c8f9483b67fc4df6edcb.jpg

Here’s a picture of the gramma. Yes I know but it’s just getting too expensive and they all keep dying.

I know how it goes. You're gonna need to keep him quarantined and treat with an antibacterial treatment. Im not sure which ones to use at this point in time. Im hoping one of the long term veterans of this forum can help, but im not 100% sure how to contact them..

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the reference that looks like it could’ve been uronema or a nasty bacterial infection followed a wound. There’s been a few cases reported lately with similar symptoms with grammas which raises suspicion of something other than aggression.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the fish had a bad bacterial infection. As mentioned above it could have been something more virulent like Uronema. Hard to see much in the pic provided.

Sounds like you have a QT which is good. What kind of process do your fish go through in your QT before DT introduction?

If you are losing fish constantly you may have a pathogen in your tank.

Pristine water conditions and healthy diet are also a key part of a healthy tank.

OP
OP
Dierker0000

Dierker0000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the reference that looks like it could’ve been uronema or a nasty bacterial infection followed a wound. There’s been a few cases reported lately with similar symptoms with grammas which raises suspicion of something other than aggression.

Thanks! My coral beauty has a small patch on the side of him so I got some melafix and am using that. Looks like it’s healing. Just wish I knew this for the gramma. Also was able to find some CUPRAMINE!

OP
OP
Dierker0000

Dierker0000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the fish had a bad bacterial infection. As mentioned above it could have been something more virulent like Uronema. Hard to see much in the pic provided.

Sounds like you have a QT which is good. What kind of process do your fish go through in your QT before DT introduction?

If you are losing fish constantly you may have a pathogen in your tank.

Pristine water conditions and healthy diet are also a key part of a healthy tank.

Well I now have cupramine so I will use that but before nothing other than a paraguard bath then in. Then once they are in my coral beauty seemed like it’s fins were slowly disintegrating so I added my ruby reef rally. Just after that my gramma died. Didn’t see and results from the rally.

Back