rp aquatics ammonia block marine

gwfami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happened across this resin from RP Aquatics in the UK. Supposedly removes ammonia from saltwater aquariums. I'm unable to find a MDS sheet for it. Anyone have any experience with it? If it works, it would solve a number of issues.

Thanks,
gwfami

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience but there should be no need for ammonia removal in a cycled tank. Even cycling you don't want to add something like that to remove ammonia as you want the tank to develop the ability to process it on its own own (nitrogen cycle)
I say another useless snake oil brought to market for profit but that's JMO maybe someone else had thought?

OP
OP
G

gwfami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a cycled tank shouldn't need ammonia removal. Had a spike in ammonia in a new tank that had been cycled for 3 months prior to adding the shrimp. Just curious as the levels reached 8 ppm, but have finally started to come down.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a misread, you didn't have a spike.

By shrimp you mean a live one right? There's no need a rot a dead shrimp in an already cycled tank

OP
OP
G

gwfami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon tank, cycled for 3 months with live rock and bacteria. Added pacific white legged shrimp larva, ~150 to it, tank was fine for a while then spiked with ammonia. Leftover food was removed after each feeding as where any dead shrimp. Not sure what you mean by "you didn't have a spike". Ammonia levels went from 0 to off the chart. Frequent water changes were made as well as implementing a bigger filtering system with more biomedia and bacteria.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...as well as implementing a bigger filtering system with more biomedia and bacteria.
Out of interest, what did this involve?

You're aware that ammonia cannot just appear from nowhere. Something died, your bioload increased massively or the test was wrong?

OP
OP
G

gwfami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock and associated anemone's and tiny starfish were living it up, as was the algae on the walls. I'm thinking that such a large bioload so fast just overwhelmed the bacteria that were present. Things are settling down now, it's been almost 2 weeks since the shrimp were added.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually dose ammonium chloride to my tank. since I have no fish and need to dose ammonium chloride to keep No3 in the tank water.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back