RR Robinhood Acropora

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a colony of this? I picked up a frag for a steal at a local reef expo, can't wait to grow it out. Here is RR pic and imo the same or at least very very similar from WWC, the "Budgie Smuggler". Share pics if you have a frag or colony of either!

If so, what par do you have it high/med/low in your tank? It appears to be a granulosa, possibly loripes, so I was planning on mounting it mid-low in my tank

Thanks!
100d7ddc20ef893ddc33fd69f0af08a0.jpg
48dceda5bd05fb6ae8b7ea0a64c15ddd.jpg
1d641866c9493e8d5dabf55c64767f78.jpg

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me guess, it was a steal at $500 for a booger sized frag?

Definitely a stunner, is that how it really looks?

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me guess, it was a steal at $500 for a booger sized frag?

Definitely a stunner, is that how it really looks?

No definitely not, I refuse to buy a booger of anything. The frag is about 3/4" x 3/4" (maybe 1" x 1") with 3 branches, $90. The frag doesn't have any of the green (likely only develops in mini colonies as certain portions get shaded/grow out or in lower light) and I don't have pure actinic lighting like in the pics so the gold body and purple tips arent as bright, but it is definitely gold/tan with purple tips and the polyps are that translucent pink/purple, coolest polyps ive ever seen. Under the all blue reef brite strips at the expo it looked identical (sans the green). Really pleased and can't wait to see it grow out. I can try and take a pic of the frag but my cell camera is absolute crap (galaxy s5 lol) and the colors would not look right.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an old blue led strip laying around somewhere so may try and fire that up and take a pic, although i think i would still need an orange filter or something. I really need to invest in a better camera......I cant even take tank shots because the lighting turns the whole tank blue and you can't even see the corals, its pretty sad.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC wants $1299. Good luck. lol
Haha waaaat. Well this is actually wwc budgie smuggler then ; )

To be fair though i did get this as part of a pack deal so the $90 was after that. It was much much more originally. Reef Raft list price was $350 but they sold 3 frags for $250 a pop on here one time in 2016. They may have lost their colony though because I literally cannot find one other mention of this acro online........hopefully I can share it all with you guys once I grow it out!

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frag of it from Tony at Reef Raft. Lost it in the move. Was only a couple of inches but was beautiful. If you ever frag it let me know.
This is the only pic I can find of it and it's a bad cell pic.

rrusa robinhood acro.png

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frag of it from Tony at Reef Raft. Lost it in the move. Was only a couple of inches but was beautiful. If you ever frag it let me know.
This is the only pic I can find of it and it's a bad cell pic.

rrusa robinhood acro.png
Hm, that looks very different than mine. My frag/the reef raft photo/wwc has translucent neon pink polyps. It's also gold with purple tips, of course frags of the same acro can look very very different, obviously. Cell phone cams don't help. I'm going to try to take a pic tomorrow but it may just be straight blue lol.

If i remember i will definitely let you know if/when I frag it, but it will probably be a while because I don't like to frag acros until they are a decent size. So follow me and you'll see when I do, cuz I'll likely forget.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Robink

After looking at your picture again I can see its the same acro. Hard to see the colors but I see the green to gold to purple near the center bottom. Frag colored down/cell phone cam threw me off. The polyps must turn pink/translucent when it grows out or under certain circumstances. Hopefully mine stay that way, craziest I've seen

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to know someone has it. I don't think Reef Raft has it any more, so I would be interested in a frag. That one was growing fast for me and had great color. Wish I still had it. I have some other Reef Raft acros so maybe we can trade. :D

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to know someone has it. I don't think Reef Raft has it any more, so I would be interested in a frag. That one was growing fast for me and had great color. Wish I still had it. I have some other Reef Raft acros so maybe we can trade. :D
Always down for a trade. Hopefully it does well for me as well. You don't remember what PAR you had it in do you?

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never buy anything from reefraft. Have you looked at their site? Nothing personal. I just refuse to support a business that price gouge that much.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never buy anything from reefraft. Have you looked at their site? Nothing personal. I just refuse to support a business that price gouge that much.
I mean I would never buy from a lot of places directly based on their pricing but that doesn't mean I won't buy their corals from other hobbyists. There is no denying Reef Raft has some of the sickest acros in the biz.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always down for a trade. Hopefully it does well for me as well. You don't remember what PAR you had it in do you?
I had it under radions at about 50%, halfway down in a 75 gallon tank. Not sure on the par, I run my current tank on the sps ab+ program also at 50-55%. I think back then I had it on the ecotech growth program.

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I would never buy from a lot of places directly based on their pricing but that doesn't mean I won't buy their corals from other hobbyists. There is no denying Reef Raft has some of the sickest acros in the biz.

Yes, they have amazing looking corals. I have a few in my tank that I have bought from other members of this forum.

Back