RS Reefer 200XL Scorpaenidae Setup

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I've dropped a little intro into the new members section of myself and my journey back into this amazing hobby after a ten year absence.

So now on a wage that could sustain a marine tank properly I decided to take the plunge and opt for a Redsea Reefer 200xl. I felt this size was optimum for my first proper tank and would reduce costs a little with lighting, heating and such like. We are also planning to move to our own house next year and the hassle of our large tank would have been too much really.

So the tank arrived and me and my partner put the stand and plumbing together over a day or so.

Next was the sump setup, I removed just the sock holder using a craft knife and put two Bubble Magus Z5 skimmers in the compartment - they fit like they were made for this system, I really do like them,
I then added a Spears Gate Valve and then plumbed it into a Clarisea.

Next up was adding a 17 litre Ato reservoir upgrade from ND aquatics which fits perfectly down the left side of the sump, this Ato I find needs refilling every 10 days with a mostly open top tank.

I use a RS reef 90 for lighting set at around 30 percent blue and 10 percent white at present.

For the return I use a COR 20 pump which I have built a manifold off to flow through a TMC Vectron UV, the return has an Apex flow meter to target specific issues if required.

Next up I hooked up a TLF phosban reactor to the side of the Ato tank and this takes water from the base of the Clarisea through the reactor and to the back of the dual skimmer setup. I have dual skimmers one of which is used for a few hours every night with Ozone and the other on constantly through a Co2 scrubber.

Finally I hooked up the system to an Apex pro and installed a refregium with a Tunze light, miracle mud and Dsb. Dosing can be done via a RS doser mounted on the door panel when I eventually add some softies.

So I think that's it with regards my current setup, running 9 months now fairly stable overall, it's a Fowlr tank with mostly unsual Scorpion fishes.

I will add to this thread my tank inhabitants and aquascaping shortly along with two difficult things I've successfully dealt with - Procentrum Dinos and Ich....

Equipment List:

RS 200xl Gen 1
Rs LED 90
Custom Acrylic Lid with feeding cutout - Reef Print
Jaebo Slw20 x 2
Spears Valve Upgrade
Apex Pro
Apex FMM and Fs50 flow sensor
Tmc Vectron 200
Cor 20 Pump
Nd Aquatics Ato
2x Bubble Magus Z5 Skimmer
Tunze Refugium Light
Clarisea Sk3000
Jaebo dcs 2000 reactor pump
TLF phosban reactor with NPX bio pellets
Aqua Medic Ozone 90 and air dryer
Redsea 4 Doser with custom doser bottles (Etsy)
Maxspect Bio Bricks
Miracle Mud in 3x tuperwares for easy removal and replacement if required
6x6 inch acrylic cube with Dsb
Battery backup air pump with auto-on in event of power failure

Stock list:

Weedy Rhinopias
Pop Eye Sea Goblin
Antanana Lion
Fu Manchu Lion
Radiata Lion
Leaf Fish
Cockatoo Waspfish
Snowflake Eel
Frog Fish - in the sump with the macro algea

Almost all of the above are fed a live diet of mollys, guppies and ghost shrimp (I breed all of these) with some Octopus and Salmon for the eel. As I want to ensure the best care possible for these fish and with my limited knowledge of them I tend to follow the advice and posts of @lion king who has been invaluable in helping me care for them this far successfully, I've not lost a single one.

Edit - the childlocks on the lid are to stop the Snowflake Eel escaping, he pushed it off one night and I found him dried up on the floor. I popped him back into the tank and he survived thankfully.

20230518_132339.jpg 20230518_132349.jpg 20230509_120447.jpg 20230509_120035.jpg 20230518_132301.jpg IMG-20221230-WA0026.jpg IMG-20230331-WA0028.jpg IMG-20230211-WA0002.jpg IMG-20221230-WA0017.jpg 20230510_185736.jpg 20230509_100109.jpg 20230507_201524.jpg 20230518_193007.jpg

Last edited:

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good that pic with the Apex and controllers, etc. is that the cabinet next o the tank? I will be setting up a similar system and will most likely need a stand to keep other stuff in.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good that pic with the Apex and controllers, etc. is that the cabinet next o the tank? I will be setting up a similar system and will most likely need a stand to keep other stuff in.
Hi,

Thanks for the comments, yep it's a washroom cabinet which works nicely, I wanted to minimise electrical corrosion in the sump area really, especially the Apex kit.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I've dropped a little intro into the new members section of myself and my journey back into this amazing hobby after a ten year absence.

So now on a wage that could sustain a marine tank properly I decided to take the plunge and opt for a Redsea Reefer 200xl. I felt this size was optimum for my first proper tank and would reduce costs a little with lighting, heating and such like. We are also planning to move to our own house next year and the hassle of our large tank would have been too much really.

So the tank arrived and me and my partner put the stand and plumbing together over a day or so.

Next was the sump setup, I removed just the sock holder using a craft knife and put two Bubble Magus Z5 skimmers in the compartment - they fit like they were made for this system, I really do like them,

Next up was adding a 17 litre Ato reservoir upgrade from ND aquatics which fits perfectly down the left side of the sump, this Ato I find needs refilling every 10 days with a mostly open top tank.

I use a RS reef 90 for lighting set at around 30 percent blue and 10 percent white at present.

For the return I use a COR 20 pump which I have built a manifold off to flow through a TMC Vectron UV, the return has an Apex flow meter to target specific issues if required.

Next up I hooked up a TLF phosban reactor to the side of the Ato tank and this takes water from the base of the Clarisea through the reactor and to the back of the dual skimmer setup. I have dual skimmers one of which is used for a few hours every night with Ozone and the other on constantly through a Co2 scrubber.

Finally I hooked up the system to an Apex pro and installed a refregium with a Tunze light, miracle mud and Dsb. Dosing can be done via a RS doser mounted on the door panel when I eventually add some softies.

So I think that's it with regards my current setup, running 9 months now fairly stable overall, it's a Fowlr tank with mostly unsual Scorpion fishes.

I will add to this thread my tank inhabitants and aquascaping shortly along with two difficult things I've successfully dealt with - Procentrum Dinos and Ich....

Equipment List:

RS 200xl Gen 1
Rs LED 90
Jaebo Slw20 x 2
Spears Valve Upgrade
Apex Pro
Tmc Vectron 200
Cor 20 Pump
Nd Aquatics Ato
Tunze Refugium Light
Clarisea Sk3000
Maxspect Bio Bricks

Stock list:

Weedy Rhinopias
Pop Eye Sea Goblin
Antanana Lion
Fu Manchu Lion
Radiata Lion
Leaf Fish
Cockatoo Waspfish
Snowflake Eel

Edit - the childlocks on the lid are to stop the Snowflake Eel escaping, he pushed it off one night and I found him dried up on the floor. I popped him back into the tank and he survived thankfully.

20230518_132339.jpg 20230518_132349.jpg 20230509_120447.jpg 20230509_120035.jpg 20230518_132301.jpg
Amazing looking tank!

AvidReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Equipment List:

RS 200xl Gen 1
Rs LED 90
Jaebo Slw20 x 2
Spears Valve Upgrade
Apex Pro
Tmc Vectron 200
Cor 20 Pump
Nd Aquatics Ato
Tunze Refugium Light
Clarisea Sk3000
Maxspect Bio Bricks

Stock list:

Weedy Rhinopias
Pop Eye Sea Goblin
Antanana Lion
Fu Manchu Lion
Radiata Lion
Leaf Fish
Cockatoo Waspfish
Snowflake Eel

Almost all of the above are fed a live diet of mollys, guppies and ghost shrimp (I breed all of these) with some Octopus and Salmon for the eel. As I want to ensure the best care possible for these fish and with my limited knowledge of them I tend to follow the advice and posts of @lion king who has been invaluable in helping me care for them this far successfully, I've not lost a single one.

20230518_132339.jpg 20230518_132349.jpg 20230509_120447.jpg 20230509_120035.jpg 20230518_132301.jpg IMG-20221230-WA0026.jpg IMG-20230331-WA0028.jpg IMG-20230211-WA0002.jpg IMG-20221230-WA0017.jpg 20230510_185736.jpg 20230509_100109.jpg 20230507_201524.jpg 20230518_193007.jpg

Amazing Tank!
How big is that sea goblin? I'm setting up a 75 predator tank and I'm trying to figure out how much sand bed he needs.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing Tank!
How big is that sea goblin? I'm setting up a 75 predator tank and I'm trying to figure out how much sand bed he needs.
Thank you! So the Sea Goblin is about 2.5 inches long and he's fairly active, often zipping around the tank. I've got a very shallow sandbed at about 3cm deep and he finds that the plenty to dive into when required. They will never be totally covered as they are always on the lookout for river shrimps that I feed.

Back