RS Reefer 350 in Ok - newbie build

BSeaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my second post . My first was in meet and greet. I hope I am able to post my pics correctly. I am new to salt water tanks , my first tank was Christmas 2018, JBJ nano 28
8B118E45-5B9F-4361-9666-722F0BC49EEE.jpeg
I haven’t figured out how to take good pics under actinic lights but I WILL
A1F2BA49-2EEB-4FC8-8EA2-4535A0C398B4.jpeg
learn . I’ve learned a lot from the nano . I have years experience with freshwater but there’s much more to learn with reef tanks. I have done pretty well with the nano. I’m good with softies and LPS but I struggle with SPS, so I don’t plan to buy anymore until I get better. I didn’t know what I was doing when I set up the nano and I over crowded it with Rock and livestock and I hate it . It’s difficult to keep clean and the sand stays sooo dirty . I think I have a healthy tank because I have a million baby cerith snails . I bought fish with the freshwater philosophy of 1 fish to every 2 gallons but after awhile I realized that really doesn’t apply to saltwater. I haven’t had any deaths but I stopped buying new. I’m addicted to reef tanks ,My intent was to have a saltwater tank for the fish because it was on my bucket list but after my first coral did well , I was addicted . Now I’m overstocked, which gets me to my Christmas present 2019 . I’m Sure I will have to buy my next one ;) The new tank is set up and cycling. I decided to use new sand and rock but I plan on taking a few pieces from the nano soon. I’m going to have a lot of questions because I’ve ordered an apex and a Trident with a dosing pump. I want to make this tank easier for me. Im using an Ecotech Vectra S2 return pump and 2 maxspect XF 330 wave maker pumps. I’m not sure how I’m going to use them . I have them on lunar until I figure out how to work them. I welcome any suggestions . I wonder how the return coming into the flow affects the gyre ? Anyone know ? Seems like a little tornado area sometimes . :oops: I won’t have any updates for a while because I plan to fully cycle my tank, using the frozen shrimp method :) I’m on week 2 !!! - Barb
3AF08801-98F3-4CFC-8F02-105EF3714CA1.jpeg

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this is my second post . My first was in meet and greet. I hope I am able to post my pics correctly. I am new to salt water tanks , my first tank was Christmas 2018, JBJ nano 28
8B118E45-5B9F-4361-9666-722F0BC49EEE.jpeg
I haven’t figured out how to take good pics under actinic lights but I WILL
A1F2BA49-2EEB-4FC8-8EA2-4535A0C398B4.jpeg
learn . I’ve learned a lot from the nano . I have years experience with freshwater but there’s much more to learn with reef tanks. I have done pretty well with the nano. I’m good with softies and LPS but I struggle with SPS, so I don’t plan to buy anymore until I get better. I didn’t know what I was doing when I set up the nano and I over crowded it with Rock and livestock and I hate it . It’s difficult to keep clean and the sand stays sooo dirty . I think I have a healthy tank because I have a million baby cerith snails . I bought fish with the freshwater philosophy of 1 fish to every 2 gallons but after awhile I realized that really doesn’t apply to saltwater. I haven’t had any deaths but I stopped buying new. I’m addicted to reef tanks ,My intent was to have a saltwater tank for the fish because it was on my bucket list but after my first coral did well , I was addicted . Now I’m overstocked, which gets me to my Christmas present 2019 . I’m Sure I will have to buy my next one ;) The new tank is set up and cycling. I decided to use new sand and rock but I plan on taking a few pieces from the nano soon. I’m going to have a lot of questions because I’ve ordered an apex and a Trident with a dosing pump. I want to make this tank easier for me. Im using an Ecotech Vectra S2 return pump and 2 maxspect XF 330 wave maker pumps. I’m not sure how I’m going to use them . I have them on lunar until I figure out how to work them. I welcome any suggestions . I wonder how the return coming into the flow affects the gyre ? Anyone know ? Seems like a little tornado area sometimes . :oops: I won’t have any updates for a while because I plan to fully cycle my tank, using the frozen shrimp method :) I’m on week 2 !!! - Barb
3AF08801-98F3-4CFC-8F02-105EF3714CA1.jpeg
Welcome. I have the gyre 350 dual with smart controller in my 350 and it is currently cycling. They are great for whole tank water flow.

Secondly, try adding dr Tim's one and only or fritz turbostart 900 to speed up cycling. It will convert ammonia from your shrimp faster than just normal cycling. That is exactly what I did. Dm me if you need anything.

OP
OP
BSeaman

BSeaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I have the gyre 350 dual with smart controller in my 350 and it is currently cycling. They are great for whole tank water flow.

Secondly, try adding dr Tim's one and only or fritz turbostart 900 to speed up cycling. It will convert ammonia from your shrimp faster than just normal cycling. That is exactly what I did. Dm me if you need anything.
Thank you for your help . I added the Dr Tim’s one and only And I just added a piece of rock from my JBJ . I was planning on waiting about 4 weeks , maybe longer if I have to . I have the Gyre 330 ‘s , dual with controller. How are you using yours ? I’m still
learning mine. I’m one of those oldies that doesn’t know how to use technology and I don’t know how to DM either ;Dead TIA

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 37 28.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back