RS170 Tide Pool Temperate tank

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This is a couple pics of my Temperate tank. Based on the tide pools of SoCal. Starting out with one rock and a six gallon AIO, turned in to two nano tanks. I recently combined both of my small tanks into the RS170. The average temp is 63deg F.
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_1029.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
This is a couple pics of my Temperate tank. Based on the tide pools of SoCal. Starting out with one rock and a six gallon AIO, turned in to two nano tanks. I recently combined both of my small tanks into the RS170. The average temp is 63deg F.
FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_1029.jpeg
Was that gorgonian just found in a rockpool? It’s gorgeous!

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Was that gorgonian just found in a rockpool? It’s gorgeous!
Actually, in the spring we had a storm with some big surges and there was a bunch washed up on the shore. I brought a couple home to see if they would survive and they have come back fantastically.
Here Is a morning shot, lit by the morning sun. They are ;

Brown gorgonian
Muricea fruticosa

IMG_1028.jpeg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Actually, in the spring we had a storm with some big surges and there was a bunch washed up on the shore. I brought a couple home to see if they would survive and they have come back fantastically.

Brown gorgonian

Muricea fruticosa

IMG_1028.jpeg
Stunning photo

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score

Brown gorgonian

Muricea fruticosa

IMG_1028.jpeg
I wish we got gorgonians round here, but instead I have to have a warm tank to keep them as we don’t get cold water/temperate gorgonians that I know of for sale.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I wish we got gorgonians round here, but instead I have to have a warm tank to keep them as we don’t get cold water/temperate gorgonians that I know of for sale.
While my temperate tank is my easiest tank to keep, I can’t imagine trying to keep one away from the ocean. I guess it would be like keeping a tropical tank. Most of my inhabitants are from zooplankton from kelp or kelp holdfasts that have washed up on shore. (including the bat star) While my tank is full of life, it is a accumulated menagerie. Everyday, twice a day actually, life is washed up on shore only to be doomed to the food chain process. It is only a small representation of what would be food to birds, crabs and Isopods. The tanks life cycle is continuous, in a catch 22 fashion because weekly I have to get fresh kelp to feed my Wavy tops and Top Norris snails, which in turn bring in new life. Some of that new life will establish itself, some becomes part of the food chain in my tank. Couple that with the fact that I am able to get NSW for water changes a few blocks away, which also adds to the biodiversity.

C-Rad

View Badges
Reaction score
Very nice. I kept a similar tank years ago (gorgonians, corynactis californica, bat stars and a bimac octopus.)
I learned the hard way not to keep cowries with a predator. Cowries produce huge quantities of filter clogging slime/gel when threatened.
What do you feed your gorgonians and corynactis?

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I feed Phyto twice a day (Cheato, Tet and Iso), a bit of thawed frozen (mysis, plankton, etc.) TM's Zooplankton, and Reef Chili. Oh then there is my swamp mix, which is Phyto, copepods, rotifers, etc. I basically try to fill up the water column with what they are used to in nature. Interesting note: most of the time only one sea fan is open during the day at a time, it is either one or the other. At night they are both open. The strawberries I think I started with one or two that came in on some kelp or maybe a hold fast. Now there are a bunch of them. Mine tend to not like a lot of light so they are in the shade mostly. But at Cabrillo aquarium, they have a tank with 4 or 5 shades of pink that are under a Radion G3, also the feed them pretty heavy there. But given the choice they avoid a bright light.

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Any chance you could post updated photos? The ones you have posted so far are fantastic.
Well here is a quick shot I took today. StarLA was hungry so she came out for some food. She is getting really big now considering when I found that she was in my tank she was about 10mm.
IMG_1509.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Here is another with a better color rendition of StarLA. Plus another anemone who is slightly deflated because one of the hermit crabs was making it close up to look for scraps.
IMG_1514.jpeg
IMG_1515.jpeg
Wow this is super cool!! Beautiful

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Beautiful! Can we get a full tank shot please?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back