RSR ATO question

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used an ATO before. Tank set up was complete yesterday and I had the little needle valve open. It's a Red Sea 200xl. The problem I had is. I just checked under to make sure everything was functioning and noticed the sump was much more full, then realized the ATO drained all of a gallon into the sump. What could I have done wrong?
20210730_133911.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill up the sump to the max water level with your pump set at the speed it takes to fill your main display to its operating level.
Then tune the ATO valve after your system is running and fill up the ATO with fresh water after the valve is closed.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump was set and running. Ato was filled after and then I opened the needle valve. I assumed the ATO would drain at the mercy of the float valve.
Ok....have you tested to see if the float valve isolates the water?
Like manually hold the float all the way up and put water into the ato chamber and see if it leaks out?
Sounds like theres not enough pressure to keep the float closed at full water level or something is making it stick open.
Not too many variables on a mechanical float.

Do you have current in your sump that allows the float to bob?

OP
OP
Little c big D

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is currently off for the cycle. Only think running is return pump. I'll pull the whole unit whe I get home and check it to see if it holds. I was suprised it completely drained so quickly. I'm glad nothing was in the tank yet lol. Thabk you for the help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back