RTN correlation to photoperiod

  • Thread starter Thread starter rynosreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rynosreef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2011
Messages
140
Reaction score
128
Location
Burbank, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As any acro keeper I’ve lost my fair share of sticks to dumb mistakes. But I’ve noticed some “at risk” acros (those on the fence with hints of tissue recession at the base) tend to hold on during light on, but once lights are out RTN. Some don’t and pull through. But I feel most that go, go during lights out. Has anyone else noticed this? If so I’m curious what could be some of the brain trusts ideas as to why?
 
Not backed by any proof, but my guess is alot more critters come out at night that may feed on dying tissue. Ive also noticed that when a coral stn or rtns most of the decay does appear to happen overnight, but it could also be because thats 12hrs we're not seeing it vs watching it throughout the day.
 
Of the 2 RTN events I've had, lost all the tissue during lights on. It started at night when the lights were out, but lost all the flesh as soon as the lights came on.
 
The corals are getting energy when the lights are on - zoox making sugars. It makes sense that they are stronger during this. Personally, I would not think about this too much since sooooooo much is unknown and you will probably just drive yourself crazy thinking about causality and correlation when there might not be any. I try and focus on stability, heavy import with heavy export and the best possible energy source (lighting) and then not worry about what I don't know about like what causes RTN. It has put me at ease a lot...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new