RTN to STN then back.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. So I have a stocked tank and had a pac man for 7 monsths then my po4 went up and dropped it so the RTN stopped but not entirely. Off the bar all he parameters were in specs. No swings were happening. Only would be that I had 2 change light times. And Turing the day was getting sun leaching unless I covered it. So would that stress it when it was Ill to dead. When it stopped I came back 2 turn em on and STN was started. Then whipped it out when got home from work. But it went through HIGH PO4 and dropped it for that sps. Then this happened 1 week earlier I lost a coral 2 nem sting but inwaterchanged and dosed 2mg of bacteria incase. It’s just was a dragon and love them and don’t wanna get a replacement as I’m wanting the pink and gold dragons and they HATE po4 but this feels like lights were the issue. Thanks! Pic was when I added snails 2 eat the hair from the po4 raise. Then cleaned it and just watched it and wanted 2 snap it and glue the center out and hope the plug was clean but I just used glue 2 smother it out and may have helped but was at work.

C4444FE7-C955-400D-88A5-CD2A62CB1BA8.jpeg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swings?
So I have a stocked tank and had a pac man for 7 monsths then my po4 went up and dropped it so the RTN stopped but not entirely.

Or no swings?
Off the bar all he parameters were in specs. No swings were happening.

Or other changes?
Only would be that I had 2 change light times. And Turing the day was getting sun leaching unless I covered it.

So would that stress it when it was Ill to dead. When it stopped I came back 2 turn em on and STN was started. Then whipped it out when got home from work. But it went through HIGH PO4 and dropped it for that sps. Then this happened 1 week earlier I lost a coral 2 nem sting but inwaterchanged and dosed 2mg of bacteria incase. It’s just was a dragon and love them and don’t wanna get a replacement as I’m wanting the pink and gold dragons and they HATE po4 but this feels like lights were the issue. Thanks! Pic was when I added snails 2 eat the hair from the po4 raise. Then cleaned it and just watched it and wanted 2 snap it and glue the center out and hope the plug was clean but I just used glue 2 smother it out and may have helped but was at work.

I'll be honest I have no idea what your dictation meant by that, but it sounds like another PO4-swing maybe?

;)

Alk, calcium, NO3 and PO4 should all be kept available and stable for corals like your to get happy and stay growing.

If you're trying to keep a tank without NO3 and without PO4 (sounds like you have a focus on "high and low") you will have a rough journey. Concentrate on balance and stability. :)

What numbers have you gotten from your most recent NO3 and PO4 tests?

How long has this tank been up and was it started with live rock or dead rock?

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t believe the presence of elevated phosphates causes any tissue necrosis nor do they require knee jerk reactions to bring them down. The spike and then the rapid drop has spelled doom for many sps.

I would just try and keep everything as stable as possible.

Also, were you saying sunlight hitting corals was causing death?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried my best to follow your post, but alas, could not. I’m glad it’s back? ...maybe?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back