Ruby red fin fairy wrasse not eating

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now.. Maybe im being paranoid since it's only day two in my tank, but, my ruby red fin isn't eating, I've tried pellets, reef frenzy, and garlic soaked mysis. Any recommendations? Right now I'm hoping it's at least going after copepods in my tank.

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now.. Maybe im being paranoid since it's only day two in my tank, but, my ruby red fin isn't eating, I've tried pellets, reef frenzy, and garlic soaked mysis. Any recommendations? Right now I'm hoping it's at least going after copepods in my tank.
what Tank mates do you have with your wrasse? Are your water parameters in check. Not uncommon for a wrasse to take a few days to get acclimated to a new tank. Was the wrasse eating when purchased?

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what Tank mates do you have with your wrasse? Are your water parameters in check. Not uncommon for a wrasse to take a few days to get acclimated to a new tank. Was the wrasse eating when purchased?
Two clowns, a bangghai, and a small tomini. When I first added it they were all super interested and in estimated, but there's been zero aggression or chasing. Only things that haven't been in check have been my nitrates and phosphates, I've been having trouble keeping them (part of why I went out for another fish, just happened to see her and I've been after one for half a year). It was, it passed through my lfs medicated quarantine.

I will add.. She's super small. Not skinny, just tiny, smallest fish in my tank.

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns, a bangghai, and a small tomini. When I first added it they were all super interested and in estimated, but there's been zero aggression or chasing. Only things that haven't been in check have been my nitrates and phosphates, I've been having trouble keeping them (part of why I went out for another fish, just happened to see her and I've been after one for half a year). It was, it passed through my lfs medicated quarantine.

I will add.. She's super small. Not skinny, just tiny, smallest fish in my tank.
OK well sounds like you made a good choice and may just need some time to warm up to everyone. If you go a couple more days and no signs of eating. I would see if you can source some live food. So start sourcing now so you have some if needed Hopefully that will get her back to chowing down on regular food. But I think a little patience may work. Good luck!

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK well sounds like you made a good choice and may just need some time to warm up to everyone. If you go a couple more days and no signs of eating. I would see if you can source some live food. So start sourcing now so you have some if needed Hopefully that will get her back to chowing down on regular food. But I think a little patience may work. Good luck!
I did see it peck on a rock a couple of times, so I'm guessing it was eating some copepods? I do know I have a decent population in my tank, I see them every day. If I do have to go the live food route, what would you suggest? I was looking at possibly getting a brine hatchery, I live by brs so I could pick one up Monday assuming they're in stock.

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see it peck on a rock a couple of times, so I'm guessing it was eating some copepods? I do know I have a decent population in my tank, I see them every day. If I do have to go the live food route, what would you suggest? I was looking at possibly getting a brine hatchery, I live by brs so I could pick one up Monday assuming they're in stock.
Yes live brine or if you have a local fish store that sells it. How is it doing today? That is good it's picking at rocks and your tank is stocked with pods.

OP
OP
ArchXIII

ArchXIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes live brine or if you have a local fish store that sells it. How is it doing today? That is good it's picking at rocks and your tank is stocked with pods.
A LFS near me sold me some live black worms. My clowns and cardinal loved them, my wrasse didn't eat them. I kinda am wondering if it's just that shy right now, because it'll come out for 15-20 minutes, then go hide for an hour, at least that's how it's been today. Yesterday it wasn't out as much. I did see it peck at the rock work again a couple times though, and while small its not skinny.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
same boat here but don’t worry, their initial nervousness will pass...

here’s a guy looking at frozen food, but not recognizing it as food and subsequently not eating it... almost a week later!
98432045-11B4-437C-BACD-5A8F9A01B54B.png

D38E7F34-76A5-4051-8372-323413673D8E.png

eventually, they settle down...

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well, hopefully...

he’s literally getting slapped in the face like he owes rod some money, but he won’t take a bite.

i’ve seen him eating pods,
but i cannot elicit a feeding response with the foods i have on hand.

been a week now....
might need to get some ova, hmmmm

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back