Rubyhead wrasse?

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the same mistake as you not realizing these wrasse are from the same complex. I picked both of them up the same day at the LFS and both were added at the same time to a 80DT. Its been a month and so far so good but I fear I may be on borrowed time.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of my Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse to compare

B216DCB6-9F49-4530-8C4D-DB28DE383E1C.jpeg

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opposite happen to me. Had the ruby head wrasse first. Added the solar wrasse a few months later. The ruby beat on the solar wrasse for about a day straight but the solar was resilient and ended up fine. This was in a 120. They lived there for about 3 years. Moved them into a 300 and they were fine for another year, before the ruby (very large at this point) started to chase the solar again, forcing him to hide quite often. At some point the solar wrasse went blind (or close), got skinny, and the ruby head left him alone completely. Unfortunately the solar died about two months ago, and I'm really not sure of the actual cause, but guessing it was linked to blindness. My point? Further evidence that these two species "can" coexist" but they will almost certainly fight. Guessing whichever one is introduced first will be the aggressor.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opposite happen to me. Had the ruby head wrasse first. Added the solar wrasse a few months later. The ruby beat on the solar wrasse for about a day straight but the solar was resilient and ended up fine. This was in a 120. They lived there for about 3 years. Moved them into a 300 and they were fine for another year, before the ruby (very large at this point) started to chase the solar again, forcing him to hide quite often. At some point the solar wrasse went blind (or close), got skinny, and the ruby head left him alone completely. Unfortunately the solar died about two months ago, and I'm really not sure of the actual cause, but guessing it was linked to blindness. My point? Further evidence that these two species "can" coexist" but they will almost certainly fight. Guessing whichever one is introduced first will be the aggressor.

Solor wrasse was there first, and went after the rubyhead like something I've never seen before. Tom and Jerry had more lead in for their fights than these two did.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solor looks to have chilled out too, but I'm hoping for the best. If I have to choose between the two, the new guy stays. I'll have to pull everything apart to catch the solor wrasse either way, so I might as well give it a shot.
Had you used the acclimation box from the get-go, your chances would have been better I'm afraid. But it's really hard to "undue" things, once they've been done.
I believe your ID or rubyhead is correct. Latin name would be Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura.
Yup ;)
Thank you. I believe the rubyhead and solor are in the same complex, so no chance they won't not try to murder one another, eh?
It's a very slim chance, at this point.
I've been saying for some time now that the websites have it wrong and the Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse (aka Clown Fairy Wrasse, Solar Wrasse, Solarensis Wrasse) is in fact Semi-Aggressive and should be relabeled. Not sure where Live Aquaria gets the idea that this fish is easily bullied. Mine was a complete jerk and every one I have seen (even in LFS holding tanks) has showed some signs of aggression towards tank mates (Wrasse or not). Shame too, pretty fish.
It really depends. LA is certainly not a perfect source of info, but the species can be peaceful. But the smaller the tank, the less likely that will be case.
It is POSSIBLE for the 2 to coexist in a 90g, but it isn't guaranteed. 3-5 days in an acclimation box can help.
Agree, but I feel that odds are low enough not to bother trying at this point.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had you used the acclimation box from the get-go, your chances would have been better I'm afraid. But it's really hard to "undue" things, once they've been done.

Yup ;)

It's a very slim chance, at this point.

It really depends. LA is certainly not a perfect source of info, but the species can be peaceful. But the smaller the tank, the less likely that will be case.

Agree, but I feel that odds are low enough not to bother trying at this point.

Going to give it a go this weekend. Worst case is I pull out my scape to catch one of them for rehoming. Best case is they ignore each other like they are currently doing. The acclimation box would have been a better starting point, and it is something I will practice going forward. The good thing in all of this is that both fish are in good shape, and that I built my aquascape in a way that allowed me to easily remove it in case I had to hunt down a fish.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back