Rubyhead wrasse?

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this fella a few weeks ago as he's been in QT. At the LFS, all their fairy wrasses were simply labled as fairy wrasse. I asked why and they said that was how their vendor supplied them. Either way, I finally add the guy and my solor wrasse immediately attacks him, and would not let up. I was able to new the newcomer and get into an acclimation box, but I'm curious as to what he is as I have not been able to identify him on my own. He's a beautiful fish, and I have no intention on letting him and my solor wrasse tear each other apart.

20190206_154622.jpeg
20190206_154628.jpeg
20190206_154630.jpeg

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in that situation a few weeks ago my Melanurus wanted to kill my leopard wrasse , I caught him and had him in the acclimation box for a few days and my Melanurus was more calm I decided to let him loose big mistake, finally caught the Melanurus he’s in the sump but I’m scare he might not forget he’s gonna be sold

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in that situation a few weeks ago my Melanurus wanted to kill my leopard wrasse , I caught him and had him in the acclimation box for a few days and my Melanurus was more calm I decided to let him loose big mistake, finally caught the Melanurus he’s in the sump but I’m scare he might not forget he’s gonna be sold

My solor looks to have chilled out too, but I'm hoping for the best. If I have to choose between the two, the new guy stays. I'll have to pull everything apart to catch the solor wrasse either way, so I might as well give it a shot.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mension I have a six line and had a fairy wrasse caught him with my Melanurus gave him to a local reefer but it depends if he wants blood like chasing everywhere constantly yeah one has to go

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mension I have a six line and had a fairy wrasse caught him with my Melanurus gave him to a local reefer but it depends if he wants blood like chasing everywhere constantly yeah one has to go

Six line wrasses can be brutal from what I hear. Any idea what the fish I have in the acclimation box is?

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solor looks to have chilled out too, but I'm hoping for the best. If I have to choose between the two, the new guy stays. I'll have to pull everything apart to catch the solor wrasse either way, so I might as well give it a shot.

I noticed after I release him my Melanurus was chilled because he was scare of the trap took me 2 weeks to catch him he was leaving my loepard alone because he would not come near the trap but he Would not let him leave that lil corner under the trap

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed after I release him my Melanurus was chilled because he was scare of the trap took me 2 weeks to catch him he was leaving my loepard alone because he would not come near the trap but he Would not let him leave that lil corner under the trap

Are those two wrasses in the same family?

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suck at IDing wrasses the one I gave all I know it was a fairy never was able to find a similar pic online, and my six line is not that bad but he is housed with An angel 2 maroons 2 lionfish and a purple dottyback not much aggression he can show before he gets jacked up all my fishes don’t play that chasing around the square up on each other and keep it moving I do feed a lot I noticed better behavior

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those two wrasses in the same family?

I believe your ID or rubyhead is correct. Latin name would be Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura.

To be picky, all wrasses are in the same family, Labridae. Your solan and rubyhead would be in the same family, and genus (Cirrhilabrus), and according to @evolved , same complex. The Cirrhilabrus genus is one of those catch-all genera. Species within can coexist, but those in the same complex don't.

The scientific nomenclature can be a little confusing, but if you can wrap your head around it, it really does help you understand the animals better.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your ID or rubyhead is correct. Latin name would be Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura.

To be picky, all wrasses are in the same family, Labridae. Your solan and rubyhead would be in the same family, and genus (Cirrhilabrus), and according to @evolved , same complex. The Cirrhilabrus genus is one of those catch-all genera. Species within can coexist, but those in the same complex don't.

The scientific nomenclature can be a little confusing, but if you can wrap your head around it, it really does help you understand the animals better.

Thank you. I believe the rubyhead and solor are in the same complex, so no chance they won't not try to murder one another, eh?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been saying for some time now that the websites have it wrong and the Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse (aka Clown Fairy Wrasse, Solar Wrasse, Solarensis Wrasse) is in fact Semi-Aggressive and should be relabeled. Not sure where Live Aquaria gets the idea that this fish is easily bullied. Mine was a complete jerk and every one I have seen (even in LFS holding tanks) has showed some signs of aggression towards tank mates (Wrasse or not). Shame too, pretty fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse experts (I'm not one) will have to tell you for sure on that. I would think that in a 90 gallon, the odds aren't good.

If you are setting up another tank, then I wouldn't get rid of either one. They are both beauties. Can one live in the sump for a few weeks?

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse experts (I'm not one) will have to tell you for sure on that. I would think that in a 90 gallon, the odds aren't good.

If you are setting up another tank, then I wouldn't get rid of either one. They are both beauties. Can one live in the sump for a few weeks?

I am many months from standing up any new tank, and this 90 gallon is technically a new tank itself. I'd rather take one to an LFS for store credit than sump it for however long it would take me to build another tank. I do like the solor wrasse though, but I love the colors on the rubyhead.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am many months from standing up any new tank, and this 90 gallon is technically a new tank itself. I'd rather take one to an LFS for store credit than sump it for however long it would take me to build another tank. I do like the solor wrasse though, but I love the colors on the rubyhead.

I totally understand. I didn't know how far along the 125 gallon was.

If you were 1000 miles closer, I'd take whichever one you didn't want.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand. I didn't know how far along the 125 gallon was.

If you were 1000 miles closer, I'd take whichever one you didn't want.

Would be nice! This 125 still has some of the water, and nearly all of the substrate from it being a cichlid tank. I just sold them all off this week.

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solon fairy wrasse bullied my ruby head non-stop so I removed the solon fairy for 3 weeks, let the Rubyhead get his bearings. After three weeks I put the solon fairy back in and everything was fine for about 5 months. Then my rubyhead wedged himself in the rocks as if he was hiding from something...5 days later I came home to it floating around the tank dead.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solon fairy wrasse bullied my ruby head non-stop so I removed the solon fairy for 3 weeks, let the Rubyhead get his bearings. After three weeks I put the solon fairy back in and everything was fine for about 5 months. Then my rubyhead wedged himself in the rocks as if he was hiding from something...5 days later I came home to it floating around the tank dead.

That is good information. Thank you.

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good information. Thank you.

I forgot to mention someone gave me a free orange tail damsel in between that time...biiiiiiggggg mistake. I believe that fish may have had a lot to do with the tank violence as well. Maybe even all of it because I never saw the solon attack the ruby first hand after the initial separation.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention someone gave me a free orange tail damsel in between that time...biiiiiiggggg mistake. I believe that fish may have had a lot to do with the tank violence as well. Maybe even all of it because I never saw the solon attack the ruby first hand after the initial separation.
That is also good information, as it brings me back to square one. I'm gonna give it a go, though.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back